Chassis 1032 Restored and Back Home

Adam C.

GT40s Sponsor
Hello all,

We just completed our 4.5 year restoration of MKII chassis 1032. It is now back to as it was at the start of the 66 lemans race.

To celebrate the end of this project, we displayed the car at the concours d'elegance at St Johns in Michigan yesterday. The car recieved two awards including the Lion award and Most Significant Ford. We then loaded it on the car hauler bound for Indy. It should be back in the Indianapolis Motor Speedway Museum at this moment.

This was a 100% volunteer effort led by several Ford engineers and retirees. We hope that the car is displayed at events all around the country for all to see.

Thanks to everyone who supported us with details and the occasional part during this long restoration.

Adam C.

Attachments

• IMG_3137.jpg
    IMG_3137.jpg
    235.7 KB · Views: 861
  • IMG_3138.jpg
    IMG_3138.jpg
    264 KB · Views: 823
  • IMG_3139.jpg
    IMG_3139.jpg
    279.4 KB · Views: 748
  • IMG_3141.jpg
    IMG_3141.jpg
    249.4 KB · Views: 741
  • IMG_3144.jpg
    IMG_3144.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 793
Last edited:
Adam,
Welcome back to the forum. You guys have done a true labor of love. I hope you guys documented every step along the way(photographically). I hope you will take some time, if you have it, to share that story with us. There are many I would bet that would like to see and hear about it. Is there a build site of the restoration or maybe a collection of photos? If so there would be many that would like to see them.
Again, welcome back.

Bill

Adam C.

GT40s Sponsor
Thanks,

The "We" includes but is not limited to Ford employees such as myself, Jim Dunham, Mose Nowland, Paul Osborne, Vince Mariucci, and Dave Masser.

We have taken literally thousands of pictures. Some of them I'll post.

Paul Osborne makes films as a hobby, and has recorded several hundred hours of footage. He will be editing it down to something managable and selling copies. I'll let you guys know when it goes on sale so you can see how such a pretty car was done by such a group of hill billies.

Adam, fantastic work and BIG KUDO'S to everyone who put forth effort in bringing this car back to its full glory. Its has to feel good knowing that 100 years from now this car will still be viewed by many of those who cherish what it stands for and you guys were responsible for helping to maintain its past, present and future. Well done to all.

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Great work Adam, and friends. Also where is " the concours d'elegance at St Johns in Michigan" ? I live about 35 miles from St Johns, and have never heard of the event. I would like to put that on my calander for future events.

Regards Brian

Adam,
Great work by all your volunteers. We would love to see pictures and an account of the restoration.

Adam,
Thank God there are still some "hill-billies" around who can do such great work. The car looks great and the world is a better place with this precious history restored for future generations. Great job.
Garry

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
We just completed our 4.5 year restoration of MKII chassis 1032.

Adam --

I'm so glad to hear that. I've been using Ken Schabow's photos as a kind of inspiration/reference in what I do with my car. How would I find out when the car going to be making any other public appearances? I would really love a chance to see it in person and to meet any of the team members.

Thanks,

Alan.

Last edited:
Adam,
I stopped by the house several months back with Dave and watched you guys work your magic. The car turned out beautiful and you should all be very proud. I took several pictures at the time, but was told not to post them. I am glad to see that you are now posting the pictures and hope that you will be sharing more of them.

Adam C.

GT40s Sponsor
Thanks all for the kind words. This was a true labor of love. Jim and I started the project because we wanted to know everything possible about GT's. I can say that our thirst has been quenched. Mose started it because he wanted to revive one of the cars that he worked on in his youth.

For those of you who don't know, Mose built the 427's that ran in 66 and 67. He was also at lemans both years tuning the carbs, gapping the plugs, etc. He built the engine that is in 1032 using his original notes. We would have been lost without him.

Yep, show all the pictures you want. We just didn't want the word getting out too much while we were working on such an expensive car. There were also doubts about our abilities, and we wanted everyone to withold judgment until we were finished. Everybody likes the sausage, many dont like to see how it is made.

As far as public appearances for 1032, that is now up to the museum. We will have to schedule our visitations like anybody else.

The concourse was moved from Meadowbrook to St. Johns. This is the first year.

It was an amazing volunteer project (Adam and I were a bit too enthusiastic!) and without the whole teams help, it would not have happened. We met an amazing number of people and hosted many visitors as far away as Germany and Australia. A picture of the some of the team members attached.

Attachments

• PA172513.jpg
    PA172513.jpg
    286.9 KB · Views: 613

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Did Ronnie Spain see this car recently? I know he was in the USA and traveling around a bit. The car looks amazing- kudos to you all for a job done outstandingly well.

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
I had the pleasure of seeing the car when it first arrived and at various stages through its restoration (which was actually only supposed to be a preservation...but you know how that goes)...I have taken a few overseas RCR visitors to see it too...

The work that Jim,Adam,Mose and the rest of the guys did is just superb , and as one of the lowest hour true race GT40's it really does deserve to wear its own original colours and live out its days as 1032 ..not a facsimile of 1046..

Well done guys ....a place in history has been preserved due to your time and efforts....

To Jim and Team

Thank you very much for the opportunity to see the car in the middle of the build.

Congratulations to the finished product. Great to see that all the detailed work put in payed out in a an outstanding piece of GT40 history.

Thanks
TOM

Much as I love the car, that has got to be the crappiest colour scheme I've ever seen, and spoils all the good work for me. Sorry, but I'd say take it away and repaint.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Dalton,

I have to agree with you about the color, definitely not the most attractive paint scheme!

But that said, this car is a piece of history. The 1966 Holman & Moody Le Mans car were all painted in "metalic" colors, copper, bronze........

When they got to Le Mans, they found that just like the Shelby cars, during dusk and at night, it was very hard to tell them apart. A copper car looked very similar to a bronze car, the dark blue Shelby car looked very similar to the black P1046.

I understand they sent someone out to get some bright spray paint and they then added the somewhat strangly shaped color patch to the nose and side of several of the cars.

Hence for historical reasons we are faced with these somewhat odd paint schemes!

In the end, I totally agree with keeping its "historic" scheme. I know if I had a car that had raced at Le Mans, I would keep that paint, even if it were not the most attractive.

Last edited:

Keith

Hmm, never saw the paint scheme just saw the car - fantastic Adam, I remember all your work on the snorkels and the 427 headers.

I learned much from your posts and it is great to see your labours come to fruition.

As for the paint scheme - you've got to keep the patina for such an historic automotive treasure , but anyway, I kind of like it - very racy. :thumbsup:

Ron Earp

Admin
Much as I love the car, that has got to be the crappiest colour scheme I've ever seen, and spoils all the good work for me. Sorry, but I'd say take it away and repaint.

I agree it isn't the most beautiful GT40 but as mentioned below history can't be re-written. It is great to see a car returned to its original configuration, warts and all. Definitely doesn't spoil the hard work that went into restoring this car.

Please put up more detailed picture of the car.

Back