Amgt40/1

Last weekend, I went to the Eifelrennen at the Nurburgring and ran into this amazing GT40.
The truck said: Alan Mann Racing and I, of course, got curious.

I had a small talk with the German owner who owns the car for about 30 years now and uses it for racing only (which definitely shows).
The engine is a 289 ci with a ZF trans.
The owner showed me a poster in his truck which shows the car in the pits at Le Mans in 1966 wearing number 25.

He mentioned the chassis number, but by the time I got home I forget. Searching the www I found out that Alan Mann only made 5 lightweight GT40s of which only 2 were MK1 (and 3 MK2). The MK1 had chassis number AMGT40/1 and AMGT40/2. Since AMGT40/2 is located in the US and has changed owner not that long ago and has blue liveries, I conclude that this car is AMGT40/1!

IMG_0476.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_0475.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_0474.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_0472.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_0477.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_0473.jpg
[/IMG]

a link I found about AMGT40/1

Re: Amgt40/1 or something

Doesn't the Racing Icons car belong to forum member Rex (Myers) in the USA

Keith

Wouter, this one appears to be AMGT2, so your excellent picture must be AMGT1.

The German machine pictured earlier is...anyone's guess although Alan Mann himself did order an SPF in those colours perhaps that's what it is? It should have the words "Alan Mann Racing Byfleet England" on or just above the cill covers though....

AMGT2

2-top-view-w800-h800-620x411.jpg

Plate on the above car:

2-chassis-plate-w800-h800-300x199.jpg

PS Doc, how could you forget this chassis number?

It's simply No. 2 :laugh:

Last edited:

Keith

Alan Mann's SPF, so it appears that Doc's "AMGT2" isn't that one either!

img01.jpg

PS Doc, Alan Mann did revive his AMR racing team in 2004 to go Historic Racing but I don't know any more than that, so it could be an Alan Mann car but not GT1 or GT2

Last edited:

Keith

The car came with a large placard listing its history as AMGT2 confirmed by Ronnie Spain. Could the car you have be one of the three seven litre cars made by Alan Mann?

The blue car is definitely AMGT2 as it has the unique rear clip widened later by Paul Hawkins.

This is an original picture of AMGT1 (although confusingly the picture is titled as GT2)

amgt40_2.jpg

As you can see, it is exactly as the car you photographed at Goodwood complete with sills, periscopes and modified lower rear air scoop.

MKII's were XGT1,2,3 and quite different.

So, sorry Doc, your "AMGT1" is a 'Plica!

It's not that I care if its original or not.
I was just wondering and couldn't find the answer on the www. Were better to go than this forum!
I had actually had doubts myself, but the owner of the car was explaining the car with dry eyes to be the exact car as the one on the poster. He even drives around in this Alan Mann truck. And, maybe that explaines why the ID-tag was covered with ducktape.

Keith

You obviously get around the shows a lot Doc, so if you spot one of these in the future, try to take pics of under front & rear clip, then there's NO mistake.

Owners of originals would always raise their clips for you..

It's not that I go to these kind of shows a lot, at least not as much as I want to.
But when I'm there I am special aware of any GT40s around.

I own my GTD for a bit more than a year now, and I'm infected by the GT40- and modding-bug already. So each GT40 can rise some new ideas!

Of course, when I see an 'original' I'll give it a bit more attention. But I didn't know there were so many fakes (in Germany). Maybe that's why there are not that many Germans on this forum!? I have 10 GT40 at the Eifelrennen, none I have seen here on the forum!!!

Doc, Like you I'm smitten by the GT40 bug big time. I never get tired of looking at the car no matter what version it is so I appreciate your starting this thread. I've only seen one real GT 40 Mk II and that was at the Ameilia Island Concours. Also, like you, I'm always looking at photos of the originals and when I see small details that I like I consider "modding" them to my CAV. Most recently I added the "bug deflector" (seen on 1076 I believe) to my car. The devil is in the details but overall I'm keenly aware I do not own an original. But I also consider this fact; Because of the way CAV built their cars my car has the potential to be around for many, many decades and who knows way down the road somebody long after I'm gone may look at the car I once owned and speak of its history and where it came from or where its been and they might consider it to be their Pride and Joy and treat it like an original because they realize its the best they can own given he or she's financial limitations. I care for mine like an original and will always cherish the fact that regardless of whether its an original or not its MY orginal and when I'm behind the wheel I feel like a king. Keep posting the photos. I, for one, enjoy them.

Keith

All good points Jimmy. I really only care when people try to pass off fakes as originals. It insults our intelligence confuses the hobby and quite often is done to obtain some kind of pecuniary advantage.

Keith, you remain my favorite "poster" on the forum. I fully agree with your statements. When people ask me if its a real GT40 I know then and there that I'm probably speaking to someone I could fool because mine is a left hand drive with a center shift and if I'm not mistaken they only ever created 1 or 2 of those, if that. So I know I could try to pass it off as an original but then I'm just insulting both them and myself. I usually say its a real GT40 because its sitting here in front of you but its certainly not an ORIGINAL GT40. Most seem to be happy with that and while they are slightly less impressed they still tell me the car is beautiful and they're just very happy I brought it to their car show or that I drive it. I always invite them to sit in the car which is a great thrill for both them and me. To see the look on their face tells me right then and there they could care less if its an original or not they just love the fact they had the chance to sit in a car very similar to one of the great cars of our time.

But I didn't know there were so many fakes (in Germany). Maybe that's why there are not that many Germans on this forum!? I have 10 GT40 at the Eifelrennen, none I have seen here on the forum!!!

I wondered about that too Doc when I saw all your photo's. Perhaps it's due to the language difference?

Keith

Don't think so Mark, Marcus is our German Mascot and he is building a fabulous Lola.

He has a more British sense of humour than many of us!

Then of course there is Tom who also speaks fantastic English and knows most of the GT40 community so, I don't know really...

Back