Amelia Island

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Did anyone get to Amelia Island and get a look at 1040? My understanding was that it was going to be displayed there. It was recently restored by Robert Ash at RacingIcons. If you have any photos, please post them. The car is supposed to be stunningly well done.

Jim, I attended the event. I gave both GT40's in attendance a good eyeballing but the pictures I took will add nothing to what's in the link provided by Grandpa. The MKII was never "exposed" to the public so the only pics I took were of the outside of the car. Yes 1040 looked great and its been restored to a very high level but some might say to an over restored level. (Some pieces are polished a bit too much to be "original" but thats just me being picky.) I certainly would love to own the car and even in the company it was in its design remains timeless. The owner or caretaker of the car never appeared while I stood and drooled so I never got the chance to really ask he/she about the car.

Here's some other things I observed which might insterest some.

I attended two seminars Cobra V Ferrari (Friday) and the Great Endurance Driver's Seminar on Saturday. Sadly, Carroll Shelby had fallen and was very ill so he did not attend. (They say he's knocking on deaths door...but they always add "yeah but he's been there before many times!") In his place Bill Warner was able to get Charlie Agapiou at the last minute and he offered some unique insight to the happenings with the Shelby Cobras and GT40's at that time. I took an access panel from my CAV car in the hopes of getting a few signatures and was very successful. In truth I was surprised with how many people I just "bumped" into while walking. In the end I was able to get Brian Redman (1075), David Hobbs (1076), Charlie Agapiou (GT 40 Crew), Peter Brock (an outstandingly nice guy and designer of the Shelby Daytona Coupe and Chevy Sting Ray) Bob Bondurant (65 World Championship), Vic Elford (Porsche 917 and Top Bloke) Preston Henn (Former Team Owner and big time car collector and quite the character) and Derek Bell, M.B.E. After each seminar they line the panelist's up and you buy a poster (20-$25) and get them to sign it which they happily do.

I obtained signatures of some of my child hood heros. One guy I really enjoyed chatting with was Jim Hall (Chaparral Cars). I told him I'm a big time Ford guy but I just had to tip my hat to his designs which are truly great IMHO. He too was a top bloke.

For me it was somewhat surreal to attend this event. I'd be in the bathroom standing with my "business" in hand and Luigi Chinetti Jr. is standing next to me and you're chatting to him about his comments during the seminar. Or you see Sam Posey (sadly he's becoming less mobile as time passes) struggling a wee bit to get from behind the bathroom door so you help him and then you start speaking to him too. Bob Bondurant, was polite and enthusiastic. Peter Brock and I bumped into each other 4-5 times over the weekend and he would always greet me with a handshake and smile and ask how I was enjoying the event. Everyone I spoke with was polite, caring and willing to answer just about any question posed of them no matter their level of fame.

On Friday morning 7 of the 9 Ferrari GTO's at the event drove into Fernandina Beach after their morning drive. Here also owners of some of the most expensive cars in the world would happily let the public shoot photos of their unprotected cars and ask them questions. Some owners even offering people the opportunity to sit behind the wheel. Just good people letting "fans" get a taste of the big time.

I enjoyed a nice chat with Charlie Agapiou who was just out on a stroll and happened to walk up to the endurance drivers seminar as it was ending. Before you know it we're talikng about his time with the GT 40 program and his love of Arsenal Football Club etc. Did I say it was surreal. These are people I've read about, seen in magazines and TV and and here I am speaking to these guys like neighbors. Sure we're all humans and "just" people but it was a bit dream like for me.

If any of you have the chance to attend in the future I highly recommend it. The weather held, the crowd was large on Sunday for the Concours but the array of cars was top drawer. Hopefully you'll enjoy the same opportunity I did to rub elbows with childhood hero's.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Great to hear about all this; I will definitely put AI on my bucket list. The photos are terrific; I haven't seen them all, but I will.

I think Ash's philosophy is that the race car should be restored to its conformation and appearance which displays it at its best moment in its history, as far as motorsport goes. 1040 was new and well-turned out when it was a Filipinetti team car ini 1966 at LeMans- its "low moments', as John Allen said, came a bit later on in the race and than again at Monza. It suffered a lot in at least two crashes, a fire, and mishandling after it was damaged. My guess is that Ash's group felt that its appearance before the LeMans crash and subsequent mishaps would display it at its best and most historically significant. From what I recall, it was actually doing rather well at LeMans before the collision which left it unable to compete.

I haven't seen it myself, but hope to in the near future; I hope I haven't lost my last chance to do so. I wish I'd been there, it sounds like a great time was had by all.

Hey guys, Amelia was great as always....I too had taken a long look at 1040 and the Miller baby blue mkII.
Huge difference as the mark II miller motor car is just an original patina GREAT CAR!
1040 , was owned for close to 30 plus years ..one of my best friends and new gtx 1 ford owner....
I too love the car, but it could be me, but it did look over restored, too new........
1040 was painted gold by my friend in the early 70's and yes driven everyday for years!...it was taken apart years ago and never really went through a restoration till the new owner.....
Great job, every GT40 is a treasure, but maybe it needs a little road rash to give it a certain look.....
Maybe I was spoiled as 13 ferrari gto's were racing around like chevy impalas......
gtjoey1314

Last edited:
Take a look

Attachments

• SDC11619.jpg
    SDC11619.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 276
  • SDC11624.jpg
    SDC11624.jpg
    215 KB · Views: 260
  • SDC11546.jpg
    SDC11546.jpg