Unknown Beauty

Hi all

At one of the summer car shows i have attented with my RCR, they had a desk with old car magazines.

There i found this magazin form Jan/99, which featured a "original GT40".

The report shows a beautyful racecar, love that stance and paint design.

The car features a lot of original parts and design, but if one looks close at the chassis it is different. It looks like it has been assembled with rivets. Also the front uprights do not look like original or something i have seen on a GT40 before. The car features removable door tops, a feature i have seen on a SAFIR car which is close by my place. But the chassis of a SAFIR looks different than this one.

WHAT IS IT ?

UNKNOWN15.jpg

UNKNOWN14.jpg

UNKNOWN13.jpg

UNKNOWN12.jpg

UNKNOWN11.jpg

UNKNOWN10.jpg

UNKNOWN9.jpg

UNKNOWN8.jpg

UNKNOWN7.jpg

UNKNOWN6.jpg

UNKNOWN5.jpg

UNKNOWN4.jpg

UNKNOWN3.jpg

UNKNOWN2.jpg

UNKNOWN1.jpg

TOM

Keith

A full on race car no doubt, and a good looking one with all the right toys. Ronnie Spain is mentioned in the literature so I'm sure it's known to him. I would have said the colours were "French".

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
The front suspension of this car looks like that on a Safir Mark V car- the way the steering rack is connected to the upright, and also the Heim/Rose joint on the suspension upper wishbone. Is this maybe a Mark V car?

Love the paint scheme also, btw. Very handsome. I am jealous of the GW heads and IDAs but not enough to spring for them for my car.......

Think this is a fake that, for several years, someone tried to pass it as chassis 111, rebuilt as a coupe.
This chassis has nothing to do with the real deal.

Trying to pass this as a real GT40, is really impudent.

Probably a correct assumption, but if so, there should be more pics of this chassis available. For me it looks like made either out of stainless or aluminum. The car has defenitely been in germany in 99.

Found an earlier post about this 111 copy car. see here
http://www.gt40s.com/forum/all-gt40...uk-page-13-gt111-found-london.html#post193578

but the chassis of the car looks different from that pictured car above. so probably not the car you assumed Victors

TOM

Last edited:

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
I believe that is the Safir that was done in alloy, thus the rivets.

The suspension and steering are certainly Safir and for sure not FAV.

The big rubber plugs in the tub front that are moulded with "GT40" in them are a sure Safir trait and the rectangular cover as opposed to the crescent shaped cover used by FAV. The front of the tub being "squared insted of concave for the spare tire is another clue.

Also the uprights on a Safir are not "handed" i.e. the rights and left are rge same with bolt-on items to conform them to the side they need to service and the AP Racing brakes are another Safir standard.

Searched a bit more and found this pic of the engine bay of a SAFIR MKV

This all looks very similar to the design of the racecar above.

1980FordGT40MkV_03_700.jpg

Anyone pics of the front of a SAFIR MK V chassis

TOM

Hey Mick
Think your pictures showing the very same car. Especially if one compares the details of the front picture. They still have the brake rotors mounted the other way around ( Jac Mac your attention to detail is killing me, wow )Also the text description of the pics is in german.
Where did you get those pictures from ? looks like it has been involved in a crash at that time.
Any idea about the current location of that car ?

TOM

Hope this loads, those pics above came from this site IIRC. Nope sorry it wont upload....Its in German , only bit I can make out is ....Chassis Nr 004 by abbey panels, ex works Aluminum chassis # 4 Rahmen..........photo is one I saved from the site, same car.

Last edited:
Hi Tom,

There is a thread on this site discussing the car, I think its in the All GT40 section. There was a link to the site Jac Mac mentioned

Brian Maggee, I believe has more pics of MK V chassis

mick

Back