Can anyone relate to these pictures?

Kirby Schrader

They're mostly silver
Lifetime Supporter
An English friend I work with here in Houston took some pictures back in September 1971 at the Prescott Hill Climb.
Here are the GT40s. The license plates should be a dead giveaway, right?

Be aware that he made these pictures from very old slides, so apologies for the quality.

Anyone recognize any of the cars?

Kirby

Attachments

• Image0001.jpg
    Image0001.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 872
  • Image0002.jpg
    Image0002.jpg
    229.4 KB · Views: 1,081
  • Image0003.jpg
    Image0003.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 880
  • Image0004.jpg
    Image0004.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 2,744
  • Image0005.jpg
    Image0005.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 872

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Kirby,

Great photos, thanks.

That greenish one with the #168A has what appears to be MKIII side windows.

I checked Ronnie Spain's book, this appears to be P/1072.

Last edited:
Kirby,

What a find those photos are! Has your friend got any more like that lurking among his slides?

The Prescott event was on 5th September 1971. It was a another 1-2-3 finish for GT40s on the day, though not on the same scale as at Le Mans 5 years earlier! Tony Bancroft was 1st in the red #176 car, GT40 P/1022, Mike Wright was 2nd in the orange painted GT40 P/1073, and Jim is correct that the green #168 car was GT40 P/1072, driven on the day by Peter Blankstone.

Again, an excellent find by your friend, and thanks for posting them for all of us to see.

Anyone else got similar gems tucked away gathering dust?

Ronnie Spain

Kirby Schrader

They're mostly silver
Lifetime Supporter
Ronnie,

I told him today when he gave me the pics that they were pretty cool.

He says he's pretty sure that's it, but he'll check some more tomorrow to see if he has any more pictures. He does have some from Le Mans in 1970, I think, but there are no GT40 pics.

Regards,
Kirby

Kirby,

What a find those photos are! Has your friend got any more like that lurking among his slides?

The Prescott event was on 5th September 1971. It was a another 1-2-3 finish for GT40s on the day, though not on the same scale as at Le Mans 5 years earlier! Tony Bancroft was 1st in the red #176 car, GT40 P/1022, Mike Wright was 2nd in the orange painted GT40 P/1073, and Jim is correct that the green #168 car was GT40 P/1072, driven on the day by Peter Blankstone.

Again, an excellent find by your friend, and thanks for posting them for all of us to see.

Anyone else got similar gems tucked away gathering dust?

Ronnie Spain

Hi all,
Great to see vintage pictures...too bad we have no audio to go with it.The sound is one of the best things to enjoy when around these cars.Thanks for showing some history.
R.R.

P1072 and Noel Edmonds in the nude (he claim he drove the car in this state of undress) is not the connection I pictured!!!! rather revolting!!!
Regards Allan

Malcolm

Supporter
Four or five of us went to Prescott and competed in our GTDs about ten years ago and I doubt the track has changed at all between these pictures and our visit. I wonder what times they posted? I would have to have a dig about to find our times but I must have them somewhere. I do know that about 60% of all cars at our event got disqualified as a scrutineer got uppity over which tyres were allowed on the day we attended and anything on Dunlop Post Historics or slicks was out. We were allowed to run but no prizes. Hey ho.

I suspect the guys in the pictures above had the same issues with the hairpins as we did. They are very tight and it was hard to see the track. I know somewhere there is video from the GTD club visit both from outside the car and on board.

Can't comment on the cars (apart from they are beautiful - girl view), but my father was Mike Wright so I was super excited to find these images. I found one other which is a B&W image here: Mike Wright, Ford GT40 - The Mike Hayward Collection. I used to sit in the passenger seat as an 8 year old when he was testing it around Much Wenlock, Shropshire. Between that and the Low Drag Coupe e-type can't decide....but loved being in both! Happy days. thanks

Hi did your friend ever find any other images from early 70s?

thanks

Ronnie,

I told him today when he gave me the pics that they were pretty cool.

He says he's pretty sure that's it, but he'll check some more tomorrow to see if he has any more pictures. He does have some from Le Mans in 1970, I think, but there are no GT40 pics.

Regards,
Kirby

Fantastic pic(005) of 1073 with the unique Paul Hawkins rear clip. Registration B 133 . This is the original Terry Drury car that was wrecked by Tom Fry at the Brands Hatch Guards Trophy meeting in September 1968 and then subsequently rebuilt with another chassis " It was registered for road use ‘B 133’, and on February 22, 1970, it was sold to Glynis Childs in Much Wenlock, Shropshire, for whom the car was driven in sprints and hill-climbs by Michael Wright 1970-71 " . Love this history and the connection with Heather.
Can't comment on the cars (apart from they are beautiful - girl view), but my father was Mike Wright so I was super excited to find these images. I found one other which is a B&W image here: Mike Wright, Ford GT40 - The Mike Hayward Collection. I used to sit in the passenger seat as an 8 year old when he was testing it around Much Wenlock, Shropshire. Between that and the Low Drag Coupe e-type can't decide....but loved being in both! Happy days. thanks

thanks
[/QUOTE]

Back