Inquiry about 1966 Le Mans

Hello,

My name is Jim Fowler and I live in the US. I am a long-time car model hobbyist and I have joined the forum to gather some information for my current project.

My inquiry has more to do with the 1966 LeMans race than the GT40 itself; but, it is actually in support of a diorama idea I am researchng centered around the GT40 Mk IIs of the race.

I have found plenty of stats that tell the finishing stats of the race; but, I have found none thusfar that list the starting grid order of the cars - all the cars, not just the GT40s.

I would like to construct a diorama of the cars at the start of the race in their original line-up - or at least possible a section of the line-up.

Would it be possible for someone to steer me to such info?

Thank you for your cooperation and support.

Best Wishes,

Jim Fowler

Hello
which scale will you built your diorama ? 1/43 ?
If you intend to locate all starting cars this diorama
will be at least 5 meters long at 1/43 scale ( it's the only scale where you can find almost kits and diecast models for all entries!!)
There are there in France quite many forums modellers where you can find the seached list but they are writen in French Language
Two books have been edited in where starting grids and many others informations are given ; these books are in sale at Lemans shop museum ( if not outof sale)
One of this book is quite interesting for a modeller as you because for each year all cars are shown with one color pic.
10 years ago these books where so usefull when I was finishing my1/43scale collect of all Le mans grids from 1923 to 2003 but un fortunatly now these books are in my grandsons "biblioteque"

Wow, I made a nice table for you, but how can you post that on the forum and make sure it can still be read...

I just included an Excel spreadsheet below, hope that is allowed.

John

Attachments

• Le Mans 1966.xls
    21.5 KB · Views: 423
Wow, I made a nice table for you, but how can you post that on the forum and make sure it can still be read...

I just included an Excel spreadsheet below, hope that is allowed.

John

John,

THANK YOU! It is perfect!

Best Wishes,

Jim Fowler

PS - the diorama is going to be a sort of modular affair and in 1/24 / 1/25 scale. I have collected and sub-built some of them, but not all... What I may do is just focus on the grid from #1 to #21 or so - going just past the last GT40 - but I would really like to actually achieve 1 through 55; but, we will see.

THANKS AGAIN!

Great project. When looking for reference photos of cars especially for details of colour schemes make sure they are in the race and not at practise.
i.e. All the Shelby and Holman and Moody had plain colour schemes at practise.
They got colour codes (Shelby diamond circle; half circle: rectangle)and ID day glo patches when it was found hard to ID them especial when the Ford GT MKII's were hitting 210MPH along the Mulsanne straight and the light plane covering them could not keep up
Also there was a mechanic hit in the pits by I believe the MKII of Shelby No 2 (Miles and Humle) It was painted in a similar colour scheme of light Blue with twin White stripes. This was not a unique colour scheme as the F English entry MKI had the similar colour scheme hence the incident.
The Allan Mann MKII's were painted metallic colours but when the incident occured with P1029 and the Grahame Hill car the Silver No 7 had matt black paint applied to the bonnet.
One of the Ferrari 275GTB/C had whitewall tyres fitted. During the race they were change on one side so if you saw it go past on the wrong side it would look normal!!
good luck with the project.
Regards Allan

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Jim,

I have a great book, "LE MANS" 1960-1969 The official History, by Quentin Spurring.

This book covers each race of the 60's, with an extensive list of entries, Qualifying, hour by hour standings and the finish.

It has photos of the starting grids and lots of other photos as well.

It is also worth noting the winning GT40MKII started the race on Firestones and ended the race on Goodyears due to the wet weather conditions.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Here is a color chart for the 1966 Ford colors. Sadly it does not scan the color in true color but will give you an idea and the codes.

Attachments

• 66 ford colors 001 (931x1280).jpg
    66 ford colors 001 (931x1280).jpg
    105 KB · Views: 463
Last edited:
Back