Mk.II that won LeMans (ex-Stauffer car)

When I met George Stauffer,who has now I guess sold off the car, I thought he said the LeMans winning Mk. II was in Paris
but on re-reading some old stories he said Belgium.
I also heard that in order to get that car he had to buy several other cars besides the LeMans winning car
including a Mk. IV. This is common where someone waants to duymp their whole collection and you have to buy a few rhinestones to get the diamonds.
Maybe in those days a Mk. IV was not as valued as it is today, or
it was of far lesser value than a LeMans winning car so that acquisition didn't get much mention. At least one of the other cars was a Rolls Royce. I was wondering who the seller was & how he accumulated all these cars in Belgium and how it was he was able to buy two racing Fords from Ford? Was he associated with Ford racing in some way? The only Belgian I can think of that had anything to with Ford racing is Claude DuBois or maybe Jackie Ickx but Ickx, far as I know, didn't collect cars.

I also read somewhere that George's crew made a copy of the Mk.II, with a slightly different serial number with the letter "A" attached.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
It was not required to be involved with Ford racing to aquire Mk IIs and Mk IVs. Harry Heinel of Miami owned a large number of ex FoMoCo race cars that he bought via Holman-Moody. Look in most any Road & Track classified in the late 60's/early 70's and Harry is selling a Mk II or Mk IV for the street. Ford was happy to recover some costs out of the cars as they were of no further use.

The only Belgian I can think of that had anything to with Ford racing is Claude DuBois or maybe Jackie Ickx but Ickx, far as I know, didn't collect cars.

Jacky Ickx was once engaged with Catherine who was the niece of Jean Beurlys Blaton. Jean had a very nice collection of competition cars, including at least one GT40.

John

Yes, and Jean Blaton owned and historic raced GT40P/1042 in the 1980/90s. Jacky Ickx drove GT40P/1001 at the 1966 Le Mans. My car P/1042, has the registration document associated with GT40P/1042, the short motor from Blaton's car and the bodywork off 1001.... neat eh???? Andrew

I am reading the old Legate book on GT40s,(2001) edition and I notice he mentions
in connection with P/1046 he sas the man who bought it from Steve Juda was Bob Richmond who "in 1980 it was crated up with two other GT40s and put into storage in Belgium." Then it was bought by Stauffer. I was wondering, though I recognize many of the names of owners in this book, such as Fran Kress, I never heard the name Bob Richmond and am wondering if he was a well known car classic dealer in those days. I think the book lists him as one time owner of two Ford GT40s and J4, sold to Stauffer in the same transaction in 1983. I am going to make a speech at Monterey on great finds and it will help if I can say who the great finders were or are...

When I was in high school in Michigan several decades ago a neighbor owned two GT40s. I think he was a Ford engineer. I wasn't that interested and didn't walk the 500 ft. to look at them. I heard that much later he traded them for Panteras. His name was Don Eichstadt.

When I was in high school in Michigan several decades ago a neighbor owned two GT40s. I think he was a Ford engineer. I wasn't that interested and didn't walk the 500 ft. to look at them. I heard that much later he traded them for Panteras. His name was Don Eichstadt.

I bet Don wishes he'd hung onto them. That's a "the two that got away" story.

I know one was XGT3, finished to look like P1047 [red #3] by FORD, I believe it was used for the Motorcraft ads.

This was at the SAAC Motor City activity at Carnival of Cars 1977.

Attachments

• XGT3-04.jpg
    XGT3-04.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 492
Back