Inquiry: Mk II vs MkIIB (?)

Guys, Its me again, Jim Fowler. I have another question for the group:

What are the differences between a Mk II and a Mk IIB? I can see that the MK IIB does not have the rear brake duct snorkels; but, other than that I can't see any other differences visually in the reference pictures I have - nor can I find thing about them in the text of the references I have.

Thanks for your cooperation and support.

Best Wishes,

Jim.

Brian Stewart
Supporter
As I recall, the MKII went through a number of different front clip iterations early on before the nose more common to the MKIIB was settled on. These included the long droop snoot, vents behind the front wheel arches, different radiator exhaust vent, no central NACA vent, and the raised front arches were an innovation after the front tyres were found to rub on the inside of the clip on the banking at Daytona. I seem to recall some had a MKI style dash too, but I am happy to be corrected.

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
As I recall, the MKII went through a number of different front clip iterations early on before the nose more common to the MKIIB was settled on. These included the long droop snoot, vents behind the front wheel arches, different radiator exhaust vent, no central NACA vent, and the raised front arches were an innovation after the front tyres were found to rub on the inside of the clip on the banking at Daytona. I seem to recall some had a MKI style dash too, but I am happy to be corrected.

Wider rear wheels and tires and flared rear fenders, sometimes cut away below radiator opening. Full Roll cage. I think it's more the case that only the Mk II Bs had a "non-Mk-I" aka "Mk IV" or "Homan Moody" dash (Stewart Warner instruments, etc.). "C"-shaped Mk IV-style side stripe instead of sill stripe.

AFAIK all Mk IIs (A or B) have "rear snorkels".

See P1031 & P1047 restorations for more details:

Ford GT40 Restoration - Chassis 1031/1047
P/1047 - 1966 Ford GT40 MkIIB competition car at SAAC-37 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Last edited:
I build models and sometime ago I compiled a list of the differences with the ides in mind of converting a MkII model kit to a IIB. This is what I came up with, it's fairly comprehensive but not guaranteed to be complete:

Roll cages were added to the cockpit.

Wider tires required wider rear body work. At Daytona the Shelby cars ran with riveted on flares the HM cars did not.

Upgraded Kelsey Hayes brakes were utilized.

The front brake ducting was revised. Rather than taking cool air from ducts on either side of the radiator opening, warm air was now taken from directly behind the radiator. This required the relocation of the spare tire from the front compartment to the rear. The separate brake air ducts on either side of the radiator opening were sealed up and the radiator opening enlarged.

The radiator piping was moved from the center tunnel to the passenger side of the cockpit.

The semi-circular oil tank was removed from the front end and a new L-shaped tank installed in the rear at the left side adjacent to the oil cooler.

The right side oil cooler was replaced with a different type.

The aluminum cylinder heads were replaced with cast iron heads with larger valves. A new intake manifold with two quad carburetors was fitted. SAI cars were fitted with a bulged rear window, HM cars were not.

The rear brake ducts and central air scoop on top of the rear deck were removed.

The rear frame work was modified to accept the vertically mounted spare tire on the left side. The tire and the luggage box on the right side now protruded through the rear body work.

The roof panel of the passenger door was separated from the door just above the window and fixed to the car.

The grommeted driver’s seat was removed and more conventional seat installed.

A simplified flat instrument panel was installed along with a large panel on the left side, angled toward the driver, with all the fuses and switches, similar to the MkIV.

To the best of my knowledge, all but three of the ’66 LeMans MkIIs were converted to IIB spec. The three not converted were the two Alan Mann cars and the Donohue/Hawkins car that ended up in the IMS museum, painted similarly to the McLaren/Amon winning car for many years. Some of the existing cars have been converted back to partial MkII appearance, but most still retain some IIB mods, such as the roll cage.

Steve Sobieralski

The three MKIIB's entered for the 1967 Le Mans were backups for the main car the MKIV.
The Paul Hawkins car No 57 was used as a rabbit to try and break the Ferraris.
These cars were the conclusion of Ford GT40 project.
As Steve said in his comprehensive listing visually they were like comparing the 289 Cobra to the 427 Cobra everything was bigger. The bulged rear window only appeared at 1967 Daytona. The front clip was wider that of the MKIIA. The front jacks that appeared on the MKIIA were replaced with a single bar attached to two triangular mounts. Some of the cars had a lip spoiler under the front nose. There were some differences between the three cars some had spiltters on the front nose panel some did not. The movement of the spare wheel to the back and the single luggage box was only allowed by space being made in the passengers door. The only other thing to be added to the list was that the engine and gearbox were the same as the MKIV with twin holleys.
As for transforming a MKIIA kit into a MKIIB it would envolve widening both the front and rear sections substantly. Which is why model manufacturers especially slotcars tend to keep the MKIIA body and redecal it as a MKIIB without any body modifications
I hope this helps.
Regards Allan

Last edited:
Back