GT40 1011, Mike Teske

I know heretofore Mike has been famous for building replicas of Mk.IVs and maybe Mk.IIs but Autoweek has a big story this week on his finding a real Mk/ II 1011. It doesn't say who he bought it from but on a GT40 forum there was a letter from a guy who said back in 2006-2007 he bought parts and rights to a GT40 from Lee Holman Jr. so I don't know if this was the source of Mike's car. For a speech I am going to make at Monterey I would like to know about what Mike paid and if it's the same car.

PS Here's the letter from the forum:

0 P/1011
Lilo Ben Zicron says:
February 12, 2012 at 5:41 pm
I have bought the rights and parts from Lee Holman in 2006/7and I am in the process of restoring/rebuilding the car. If interested I can email pictures of the progress. Also, I am in the Shelby registry. I have also bought other project GT40 from Lee.

Sorry you do not like me asking questions. One of the things I've found is that not everything is in print. If it has never been posted on the net, it's not on the net. For instance, I saw pictures of the 1011 in two pieces, yes, two completely separate pieces. So for anyone to say that it went to Holman & Moody in one piece would be starting off on the wrong foot and right away I would suspect everything else they would say about the aftermath of the crash. I also heard, and this I haven't found yet in print was that it was buried at the track. On the other hand, I heard H & M had several wrecked GT40s in storage in anticipation of future court action. I don't think there are articles on these subjects --what happened to cars after fatal accidents--so the only thing you can do is ask people who were there, but they are dying off, like WWII veterans. Even Steele Therkelsen died only recently, and I believe he was on the team, so soon there will be nobody to ask who was actually there. I think forums are for asking questions and I didn't know I had to ask your permission to ask questions. I also forward information to websites as soon as I hear it. I just found out that Teske was in Autoweek and posted that 30 seconds after I found out.

I may write an article about all this if I can get it all sorted out but as I say finding people that were really there is getting more difficult all the time since these events are nearly a half century back.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
No Wally, you do NOT need my permission to ask, I am nobody. And I know it, but I do know what I know and I do know where and who to ask for real, confirmed information. You DO need to do some basic research first. You DO need to purchase a SAAC registry, a copy of Ronnie Spains books and perhaps spend a nickel and make a phone call to the principals involved BEFORE trolling a forum for answers.

And if I answer the question, what provenence does that answer hold? How so do you know if I actually know the answer or if I am just blowing it out my ass? What makes my information worthwhile? Perhaps I do know the real story....perhaps I don't. It will take some research and confirmation to make anyone's answer worth repeating.

Is the "X1" still around? Is Salt Walther's car worth digging up? Is Ken Miles still around? Enquiring minds want to know!

To answer your questions:
Is the "X1" still around?
Underground but I haven't heard yet where the duplicate frame went. I think the duplicate could be built out as an X1 copy and titled as a real 1965 car if there's a number plate on it or some other way to prove it existed in 1965.

Is Salt Walther's car worth digging up?
Depends on whether you accept a Tennant Panels or Safir chassis as a worthy substitute if the car purporting to be that car is now built on either of those.

Is Ken Miles still around?
No.

If you like GT40s be sure to go to Amelia island this March. The GT40 is one of the honored cars and Dan Gurney and othe rexperts will be in a panel discussion about the car. Probably the reunion at Watkins Glen was more exciting if you like to see the cars running, though.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
To answer your questions:
Is the "X1" still around?
Underground but I haven't heard yet where the duplicate frame went. I think the duplicate could be built out as an X1 copy and titled as a real 1965 car if there's a number plate on it or some other way to prove it existed in 1965.

Is Salt Walther's car worth digging up?
Depends on whether you accept a Tennant Panels or Safir chassis as a worthy substitute if the car purporting to be that car is now built on either of those.

Is Ken Miles still around?
No.

If you like GT40s be sure to go to Amelia island this March. The GT40 is one of the honored cars and Dan Gurney and othe rexperts will be in a panel discussion about the car. Probably the reunion at Watkins Glen was more exciting if you like to see the cars running, though.

Please understand my questions were meant to be "sarcastic." My point to WW is like the Allstate commercial..."They can't put anything on the interent that isn't true".....that is true, correct? I read it on the internet.

And please see rule #2 here at GT40s.com and adjust your screen name accordingly.

I wish I would be able to attend the Amelia Island event. I have been lucky enough to attend two GT40 reunions and count them amoungst my greatest automotive experiences.

Ron Earp

Admin
I'm always a stickler for forum rules. One thing I know for sure, ain't nobody's mama ever named her child "History Buff" or "The Historian". So, on a whim I had a look at the IP addresses for "Wallace" and "History Buff".

IPaddresses.jpg

Turns out that is one in the same person. "Wallace" maintains two IDs here, although each ID is registered with a different email address. One is a 'photojournalist' email and the other is a 'strada5300' email.

One person having two IDs is a no-no on GT40s.com.

Not only that, after repeated warnings on the user name I finally had to change the login name on Wallace's ID as someone on the forum told me his real name.

Effectively immediately the two IDs will be merged into Wallace's account. I'll then decide what to do with the Wallace user ID.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
I'm always a stickler for forum rules. One thing I know for sure, ain't nobody's mama ever named her child "History Buff" or "The Historian". So, on a whim I had a look at the IP addresses for "Wallace" and "History Buff".

IPaddresses.jpg

Turns out that is one in the same person. "Wallace" maintains two IDs here, although each ID is registered with a different email address. One is a 'photojournalist' email and the other is a 'strada5300' email.

One person having two IDs is a no-no on GT40s.com.

Not only that, after repeated warnings on the user name I finally had to change the login name on Wallace's ID as someone on the forum told me his real name.

Effectively immediately the two IDs will be merged into Wallace's account. I'll then decide what to do with the Wallace user ID.

Kinda what I thought I remembered Ron, but I was trying to be semi-polite.

Hhmmmm...makes me think of this car.....

Not a lot to work with there....but at today's prices the "restoration" work will be impeccable no doubt.

Attachments

• Bugatti unrestored.jpg
    Bugatti unrestored.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 375
  • Bugatti restored.jpg
    Bugatti restored.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 447
Back