Mk IV street-driven at Sebring '73?

Hi guys,

From a Sports Car Digest story on Sebring '73 comes this photo of a Ford GT Mk IV, apparently driven on the street to the event, and seen in the spectator parking lot????

24-GT40-in-paddock.jpg

Drew,
I am speculating that in Ronnies Spains book J-3 after much pestering was bought from Kar Kraft around 1970 by Harrry .T. Heinl of Miami Florida. He haed it restored by Holman & Moody and modified for road use. In 1973 it was sold to James Rogers in Nashville. It might be this car in the picture???
Regards Allan

It's strange when we see cars like this out of their element. I would be afraid they would throw me in jail if drove something like that on the street. I think if you act the part you can pull something like that off.

I had a moment like that a few years ago when I missed the Kodak moment of a lifetime. While attending the Kirkland Concours d'Elegance featuring the GT40 I saw a GT40 roadster driving around Kirkland. No license plates just out of a morning drive. Needless to say it was a very good day.

Attachments

• Kirkland GK40s.jpg
    Kirkland GK40s.jpg
    720.5 KB · Views: 358
  • IMG_1776-001.jpg
    IMG_1776-001.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 369
Richard-how times have changed. I remember photos of F1 cars being driven to the track from garages at Spa. Also remember a MkI GT40 for sale in my local Porsche dealership showroom around 1980. Price $100K.
Thanks for the photo Mike.

Richard, totally agree. When meeting with Jim G. at Amelia Island he stated he has put 40 K (!) on his MK IV and with the NY tag on the back we know all those aren't track miles. My kind of car owner. At the 2012 Amelia event I stood stunned as 7-8+ 63 Ferrari GTO's pulled into Fernandina Beach town square. I later saw them heading back to the hotel while I sat eating lunch in a nearby cafe. Not something you'll see everyday I chuckled to myself.

Charlie Farley

Supporter
Jimmy,

At last years Le Mans Classic, I picked my uncle up from the train station, saturday morning I believe and drove him back to the house to change etc
As we drove towards the house, south of the circuit, a couple of GTO's passed me, heading for the circuit. I thought wow, that's a sight you will never see again. Within 2 or 3 minutes another 3 or 4 passed us. No way, I thought, bloody replicas. I'm seeing a load of replicas heading for the circuit. Well, blow me, suddenly a gaggle of at least another 10 replicas came past us heading the other way.
Must have been the whole French, Italian and German GTO replica clubs.
It was only when I got to the circuit later that day, to watch the night racing
the penny dropped.......
18 original 250 GTO's had attended the event. To say I was gutted at being behind the wheel as opposed to behind a camera, is an understatement. Though I did get some good photos at the track of them.

Video: 18 Ferrari 250 GTOs in Action at 2012 Classic Le Mans

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Wow!

216 pistons, making wonderful and expensive, music!

That reminds me of a quote I heard about Unlimited air racing.................

"We turn money into noise"

Last edited:
In 1964 the three Le Mans Ford GT's GT/102;GT/103 and GT/104 drove through Le Mans town into their garage. When they were shipped over to France from Slough. I have seen pictures of this.
Regards Allan

Back