What is It?

D. Nye

Lifetime Supporter
While doing some research on the "J" cars I came upon this picture showing J6 right side with what looks like a light just in front of the rear tire. I've circled it in red.

Can someone help me understand what this was for, pit light? It appears it only was used on the Le Mans race cars because looking at old photos of Sebring I don't see it. Was it used on all 1967 J5 thru J8 cars raced at Le Mans? I think I have seen photos of other GT40 race cars with this located behind the rear tire.

Thanks in advance I keep learning on this web site. Great resource.

Don

D. Nye

Lifetime Supporter
It would be great if you could see the photo.

Attachments

• What is It.jpg
    What is It.jpg
    330.2 KB · Views: 549
When looking at J5 during the Ford 100 Year Racing celebration, I asked the caretaker the same question. Behind the hole is an oil tank with a circular clear window which would give a quick check of the oil level. The tank is directly behind the oil cooler and has a filler tube above.

Gramps

D. Nye

Lifetime Supporter
I can see the oil cooler with the attached photo and what looks like something shiny. I will be the first to admit I don't know much about these cars but by looking at old photos I thought the trans cooler was on the right side and the engine cooler was on the left close to the where the oil filter mounts on the lower front left side of the engine.

Of all the things to want to check with the back cover down I would of not guessed that was a vision port. Engine oil level, coolant level maybe but trans cooler?

Like I said in the first post there is a lot I don't know.

Thanks,

Don

Attachments

• 10_GT40_MK_IV_2405.jpg
    10_GT40_MK_IV_2405.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 480
Yes! It IS a clear window to view the engine oil level in the oil tank. This window was also done on the J11 car that was on display with 10 other original GTs at the Kirkland event in Washington state 2011.

D. Nye

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks guys, I reviewed some additional photos last night and you are correct. I just had not seen that round view window in the oil tank before while looking at old pictures.

I love learning more about these cars.

While doing some research on the "J" cars I came upon this picture showing J6 right side with what looks like a light just in front of the rear tire. I've circled it in red.

Can someone help me understand what this was for, pit light? It appears it only was used on the Le Mans race cars because looking at old photos of Sebring I don't see it. Was it used on all 1967 J5 thru J8 cars raced at Le Mans? I think I have seen photos of other GT40 race cars with this located behind the rear tire.

Thanks in advance I keep learning on this web site. Great resource.

Don

It was an ID light I know it was on both Shelby entered MKIV's they had them along with the coloured ID lights in the front window.
J-5 front window Light was orange Le Mans winner
J-6 front window Light was Green 4th placed
But I do not know what the side discs were in colour I always thought both Shelby cars ID discs were Red. I would have thought they would be colour coded the same as the front window ID light. I thought it would make more sense? However this was the year 1967 when the Meatball numbers were phosphorescent making them appear with a greenish hue when lit up. This definately applies to the MKIV.
I know similar ones were used on the Gulf GT40s There are on GT40/P1075 I even think the Mirage M1 used them. They are definately from an Air industry item.
The Sebring winning car J-4 needed less ID as it was the only MKIV in the race.
Regards Allan

D. Nye

Lifetime Supporter
This is interesting. Checking old photos of the J8 car in the pits before the race at Le Mans 1967-24HoursofLeMans_012 | Flickr - Photo Sharing! the oil tank window in not there which brings us back to was it a light? The best photos I've found are Dave Friedman's at the above site.

Looking at photos from the Kar Kraft shop the window appears. I guess it's possible the Shelby cars may have had this window and the Holman Moody cars did not.

Thanks Allen for the info I may be the only person that find this kind of detail interesting.

Don

Sorry Don I knew I should of checked.
I got the window ID lights colours the wrong way round!!!
J-5 Le Mans winner is Green not Orange
J-6 4th placed a Le Mans is Orange not Green
Sorry for the confusion.
And you will be glad to know your not the only one who likes to find out about a cars details. Welcome to the 'Rivet counters' club. You have just be inducted.
By the way its only that the MKIV's cars you see now have no ID lights. They were installed you can see the holes for attachment I never thought that they would take the ID light to check the oil when it would mean lifting the rear lid to take the ID light out. The ID lights I always thought on the MKIV's were behind the bodywork. On the Mirage M! and GT40P/1075 and sisters they were on top of the bodywork.
Regards Allan

Last edited:
Sorry Don I knew I should of checked.
I got the window ID lights colours the wrong way round!!!
J-5 Le Mans winner is Green not Orange
J-6 4th placed a Le Mans is Orange not Green
Sorry for the confusion.
And you will be glad to know your not the only one who likes to find out about a cars details. Welcome to the 'Rivet counters' club. You have just be inducted.
By the way its only that the MKIV's cars you see now have no ID lights. They were installed you can see the holes for attachment I never thought that they would take the ID light to check the oil when it would mean lifting the rear lid to take the ID light out. The ID lights I always thought on the MKIV's were behind the bodywork. On the Mirage M! and GT40P/1075 and sisters they were on top of the bodywork.
Regards Allan

J6's are blue.

J5's orange.

D. Nye

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks Jim, you would know for sure this detail. Were Shelby’s prepared cars the only ones that used these running lights or did the Holman Moody cars also have them? My plans have me traveling the Bolder to look at J7 next week, not sure how much detail I will be able to see but will try my best.

I admire you for driving your car and enjoying it!

Regards,

Don

Thanks Jim, you would know for sure this detail. Were Shelby’s prepared cars the only ones that used these running lights or did the Holman Moody cars also have them? My plans have me traveling the Bolder to look at J7 next week, not sure how much detail I will be able to see but will try my best.

I admire you for driving your car and enjoying it!

Regards,

Don

Not sure about the H&M cars.

Best

Jim I must have read somewhere the front windscreen ID lights were Green on J-5 but if they were Blue do you know what shade of Blue? Also was the ID unit in the front windscreen clear plexiglass/glass and that a coloured light bulb was used. Or was the front of the ID unit cover in the appropriate colour plexiglass/glass? In all the pictures I have seen it is not clear. And of course seeing the actual J-5 at Goodwood last year I realized that the ID light was not switched on!
I do not see the two H&M MKIV's having this feature.
On page 163 of the new issue of Gordon Jones and John Allens book the Ford that beat Ferrari the top picture of j-5 the circular window through which the oil level could be checked. However, what is evident is just a circular hole with what look like screw holes suggest that maybe a clear circular cover could be attached otherwise why the screw holes? J-6 has more screw holes than J-5.
Regards Allan

Back