M3/1103 featured in Octane magazine (Jul 2013)

The original Ford GT40 MkIII (chassis M3/1103) is featured in Octane magazine. Click here to read the article online: Ford GT40 road car driven

car_photo_577072_25.jpg

car_photo_577075_25.jpg

car_photo_577105_25.jpg

car_photo_577081_25.jpg

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Brilliant as usual. Articles like this are why I love OCTANE.

Why don't we (USA) have automotive magazines of the production quality of the Brit ones? Octane, Classic Car, Motor etc. are all filled every month with high quality photography, paper and printing. More expensive? For sure, but I would pay more for the content that they provide.

Motor Trend has attempted to make a magazine somewhat in that mold, called Motor Trend Classic. It is very good--or at least good by American standards. But it's also quite expensive (knocking on $15 per issue) and sales are therefore very low. It's not profitable even at that price, and is mostly a vanity project for the editor; profits from the rest of the vast company empire support the losses that MTC supposedly endures.

We also used to have Sports Car International, which was a very nice little magazine, run on a shoestring budget by a very, very old-school company. They refused to adapt modern techniques to solicit advertising, despite my friend's attempts to drag them into the 20th century. That was a magazine that was also losing money but was supported by the other magazines in the family (Ross Publishing, they do Corvette, Porsche and Ferrari magazines). Eventually SCI slipped under the waves as well.

Fortunately the British magazines enjoy wide circulation in the USA. I subscribe to Classic & Sports Car, which I think is the best of the lot.

Hi Gentlemen,

The article was in issue 115 January 2013 in the UK, (just incase anyone is thinking about dashing to the newsagents !)

I had a good look at the car at the Windsor Concours last year & met Gary, the owner, a proper enthusiast and nice guy.

Happy 4th July! Steve

1103 prior to death of its previous owner on display at Beaulieu National Motor Museum in the UK.
Nice resto job has clearly since been done.
I believe the widow of the old owner also had a 427 dry sump Cobra in the museum - anyone know what happened to that car?

Attachments

• 2667141080013541353fpmYPb_ph.jpg
    2667141080013541353fpmYPb_ph.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 364
  • 62385-DSCF0001.JPG
    62385-DSCF0001.JPG
    302.3 KB · Views: 389
  • 62306-DSCF0006.JPG
    62306-DSCF0006.JPG
    291.1 KB · Views: 393
That's interesting. It had a cross over exhaust prior to the restoration. Did the Mark III's originally have the simpler exhaust design?

Good to see it out and about on the road again.

That's interesting. It had a cross over exhaust prior to the restoration. Did the Mark III's originally have the simpler exhaust design?

Good to see it out and about on the road again.

Hi James,

Yes they did, to make room for the luggage box.

A great deal of effort when into reuniting all the original parts of this car to get it back to it's factory condition but without over restoring it and making it look new. You can see the aged carpet etc. in the photos.

There are some details of its restoration on here if you do a search.

Regars Steve

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Brian, which issue is July? I am looking through trying to find this article and can't track it down. Can you tell me the issue number? I am missing #120, maybe that is it..

Jim, the online article is dated July 2013, but it would seem that the print article is from the January 2013 issue as Barry wrote. I don't have a copy so assumed the website was the same. Sorry 'bout that.

Back