1966 GT40 MK II's

I am involved in a group build project for 2014 to build scale display models of all of the Ford GT 40 MK II's run in 1966 24 hour races.

The Daytona cars should be fairly easy since they were largely alike.

The LeMans Cars were each different so this is going to be a challenge finding matching colors.

I had been told that the racing cars were painted FoMoCo standard colors, but would appreciate any information as to the names, years and codes of the paints.

Thanks!!!!!!

PS: if this works out we may tackle the 1967 MK IIb's.

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
I had been told that the racing cars were painted FoMoCo standard colors, but would appreciate any information as to the names, years and codes of the paints.

Interesting question. I've heard or read the same thing but have never determined all the colors. I would start with the Mustang color charts for 66....

1964 to 1970 Mustang Decoder Numbers

Here's my shot at the answer:

I'm pretty sure 1031 was night mist blue. I'm pretty sure Arcadian blue and emberglo were used. And of course the "winner" is black. That leaves the red car (signal flare red?), and gold (antique bronze?) which covers the HM and Shelby teams.

For the Alan Mann team I think the colors were white, silver and yellow but I'm not sure they used ford colors....

I bet Mr. Feldman know's the answer off the top of his head....

Brian Stewart
Supporter
You could perhaps contact Chris Melia. He posts infrequently on here and was involved in the project that re-created the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place Le Mans cars for the display at Goodwood some years back.

Guardsman Blue was only used for the Shelby team cars in the 1965 season. On its Daytona coupes and GT/103 and GT/104.

Heres the colours for the 1966 Le mans Mark II. Let me have more time for exact colours.

Shelby
GT40P/1015 No1 (2nd) Light Blue with twin Whites stripes outlined in Dark blue Red ID patches has AAR or Shelby sticker? on front base of side windows
GT40P/1046 No2 Le Mans winner New Zealand national colours of Black with twin Silver Stripes /Bruce Maclaren sticker at the front base of the side windows Side windows have tape around them.
Remember the New Zealand fern with the letter NZ painted on the drivers side before the door.
GT40P/1047 No3 Red with twin White stripes AAR sticker at the front base of the side windows

Holman and Moody
GT40P/1032 No4 Bronze/Green ID patches Green rectangle Drivers side
GT40P/1016 No5 Gold/ Pink ID patches Pink Diamond drivers side
GT40P/1031 No6 Royal blue with twin White stripes Yellow ID patches Yellow circle half circle drivers side
Although I say drivers side becaused that would be the side facing the pit crew they would have these painted both sides

Alan Mann
XGT-1 No 7 Silver with twin Black stripes Matt black bonnet acquired after crash with GT40P/1029
XGT-2 No 8 Yellow with twin black stripes

Note only the Alan Mann cars had bug deflectors XGT-1 half matt black and white has it was positioned over the white number circle on the front clip. XGT-2 was a bare Aluminium deflector.

Chris Medlia used an Exoto 1/18th model for the basis of his MKII display at Goodwood along with other info including a model car magazine from japan I had with an artiicle on GT40P/1015 No1 MKII. All the car were GTD's. He also had a time constraint for the event. Although I like the Exoto models even they can get it slightly wrong with a white painted outline round the red ID patch of No1 GT40 P/1015 the Ken Miles Hulme 2nd place car. This must of been flare on a photo they used.
Regards Allan

Dave Collins

Supporter
Hi,

As far as I understand all the colours were from the 1966 Mustang colour palette. For list of these see 1966 Mustang Colors

Based on these :

1-1015 - Arcadian Blue
2-1046 - Raven Black
3-1047 - Signal Flare Red (based on comparison with pictures as it does look lighter in some than the Candyapple red- although I stand to be corrected

4-1032 - Emberglow
5-1016 - Anniversary Gold
6-1031 - Nightmist Blue (Looks close although depends on the colour image you look at so could be wrong)

The Alan Mann cars

7 - XGT-2 - Silver Frost?
8 - XGT-1 - Yellow but not a Mustang colour.

Alan the Blue and Red AAR shield sticker can be seen on the front drivers side window on 1047 in the line up photo before practice (no day glo marker panels on any cars on page 115 of Ford that Beat Ferrari 2005 edition or page 106 in 1985 edition). I can still find no evidence of any stickers on 1015 during my research.

Regards

Dave

Guardsman Blue was only used for the Shelby team cars in the 1965 season. On its Daytona coupes and GT/103 and GT/104.

Heres the colours for the 1966 Le mans Mark II. Let me have more time for exact colours.

Shelby
GT40P/1015 No1 (2nd) Light Blue with twin Whites stripes outlined in Dark blue Red ID patches
GT40P/1046 No2 Le Mans winner New Zealand national colours of Black with twin Silver Stripes /Bruce Maclaren sticker at the front base of the side windows Side windows have tape around them.
Remember the New Zealand fern with the letter NZ painted on the drivers side before the door.
GT40P/1047 No3 Red with twin White stripes AAR sticker at the front base of the side windows and AAR eagle bage on bonnet

Holman and Moody
GT40P/1032 No4 Bronze/Green ID patches Day Glo Green rectangle Drivers side
GT40P/1016 No5 Gold/ Pink ID patches Day Glo Pink Diamond drivers side
GT40P/1031 No6 Royal blue with twin White stripes Day Glo Yellow ID patches Yellow circle/ half circle drivers side

Alan Mann
XGT-1 No 7 Silver with twin Black stripes Matt black bonnet acquired after crash with GT40P/1029
XGT-2 No 8 Yellow with twin black stripes

Note only the Alan Mann cars had bug deflectors XGT-1 half matt black and white has it was positioned over the white number circle on the front clip. XGT-2 was a bare Aluminium deflector.

Chris Medlia used an Exoto 1/18th model for the basis of his MKII display at Goodwood along with other info including a model car magazine from japan I had with an artiicle on GT40P/1015 No1 MKII. All the car were GTD's. He also had a time constraint for the event. Although I like the Exoto models even they can get it slightly wrong with a white painted outline round the red ID patch of No1 GT40 P/1015 the Ken Miles Hulme 2nd place car. This must of been flare on a photo they used.
Regards Allan

I have updated the above.
David You are right I cannot see a Shelby or AAR sticker on GT40P/1015.
One thing I missed that I corrected above was GT40P/1047 Dan Gurneys car with a AAR Eagle Badge on the bonnet
Also the ID symbols on all the Holmans and Moody cars GT40P/1016, GT40P/1031, GT40P/1032 i.e. Diamond, Rectangle, Circles are only on the drivers side of the car.
Regards Allan

Dave Collins

Supporter
Allan - I remember reading somewhere that the AAR badge on the front clip did not go down well with Ford and was removed at some point. Also may have been put on as a joke sometime before race. I can not remember where I read it but must be in someone's memoirs. I will try and find when I get a minute.

I also came across a picture of the day glo identification stripes being sprayed onto the front of one of the cars.

see image on Imagedatabase# which also contains some other interesting 1966 shots.

Dave

Back