GT40 Discovered!!

Tom Shaughnessy same guy that found the multi million dollar missing LeMans Ferrari hidden under a Devin body. Purchased on Ebay for 70K.

Notice the California blue plate on back

Brian Stewart
Supporter
Anyone know the chassis numbers of the other two MKIs that were fitted with MKII rear clips?

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
Tom Shaughnessy same guy that found the multi million dollar missing LeMans Ferrari hidden under a Devin body. Purchased on Ebay for 70K.

Notice the California blue plate on back

That is akin to hitting the Powerball lottery twice, pretty slim odds, like they say some guys get all the luck!

I think the GT40 find is older and likely pre the public dispute with Pete Shomer on a ZF, possibly destined for it.

Julian

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
I'm not sure how much luck was involved, per the Shelby World Registry P/1067 was owned by Dennis Murdock in Thousand Oaks CA.

I think this guy just called them up.

One question, why is the tub painted in that shade of green, that type of primer is the same as what is used on aircraft alloy parts.... which raises the question, is it an alloy tub?

One of the links states Jay Cushman has posted info some time ago on a GT40 forum, is that here somewhere.

One question, why is the tub painted in that shade of green, that type of primer is the same as what is used on aircraft alloy parts.... which raises the question, is it an alloy tub?

One of the links states Jay Cushman has posted info some time ago on a GT40 forum, is that here somewhere.

I've seen lots of steel airframe parts painted in zinc chromate.

There are two types of zinc, a darker green seen on the chassis in the pics, and a lighter one that's commonly seen painted on ally airframe parts/structures.

The darker shade always seems to be painted on steel parts/sub structures like engine mounts or trussed steel airframes and I can't recall why, A&P school was so long a go!

Most likely they just picked up a rattle can and went to it.

The majority of car guys just figure if it's off an airplane it has to be good.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
I think Tom's been at this for a while. He had another GT40 recently, another 60s car, I think the ZF he was trying to get from Schomer was for that car. Tom is good at finding old race cars, he has a lot of contacts, and he's very persistent. It didn't surprise me that he scored this car. I think he plans to restore it.

Just a couple observations....

It looked like two Gourney/Weslake SBF motors in the back of that pickup. That alone is an awsome score!!

Also, "Salt Walther" is painted on the door. I remember reading threads about the 'lost' Salt Walther car pulled out of the swap, or something in that general line.... Whats the relationship between this car, and that 'story'?

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Since Ford actually developed and used Zinc Chromate primer as not only a paint binder but a corrosion inhibitor, it's not really surprising at all to see the chassis primed like that.. By 1967, I'm sure that they had already observed other chassis starting to rust that were not coated. Also, just a thought, could it be because this chassis had been shipped by ocean boat?

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
I've seen lots of steel airframe parts painted in zinc chromate.

There are two types of zinc, a darker green seen on the chassis in the pics, and a lighter one that's commonly seen painted on ally airframe parts/structures.

The darker shade always seems to be painted on steel parts/sub structures like engine mounts or trussed steel airframes and I can't recall why, A&P school was so long a go!

Most likely they just picked up a rattle can and went to it.

The majority of car guys just figure if it's off an airplane it has to be good.
It worked for us

Attachments

• Ali's engine fit up 2.jpg
    Ali's engine fit up 2.jpg
    316.5 KB · Views: 1,562

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
No idea what he paid. I suspect the new owner of 1040 paid a few million for it as a basket case, so this had to be in the neighborhood- that sale was a few years ago, although it was a LeMans team car with race history. This was probably more. The market is very hot right now.

Back