Help ID GT40-Late 65- please

Gentlemen,

Would anyone know which GT40 this is? Which race(s)it wore number 30 perhaps?
The ducting, a one time/event modification?
Any insights appreciated.

Thank you,
Steve

Attachments

• photo-32.JPG
    photo-32.JPG
    217.6 KB · Views: 533

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Likely either GT 103 or 104. Photo in the Shelby lot at LAX. Note the "manufacturer plate" on the front which probably means they took it out on the public highway for a spin...

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
I'm fairly sure that is P/1004, on its way to Le Mans 1965.

It was entered by Shelby for Rob Walker and is painted in Walkers colors. It raced as #7, the drivers were Bob Bondurant and Umberto Maglioli, DNF head gasket.

There are some great shots of the Shelby cars lined up at the airport (probably the same day), per Ronnies book, they all wore numbers different than they ran at Le Mans.

It's looks like they gave this car a very quick paint job, you can still see the white under the door plexi.

Last edited:

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Likely either GT 103 or 104. Photo in the Shelby lot at LAX. Note the "manufacturer plate" on the front which probably means they took it out on the public highway for a spin...

I agree with Jim its GT40P/1004. The white strip across the front clip is the only GT40 in Rob Walkers colours. The number 30 is a bit puzzling as there is no GT40 in any race around that time 1965. After the Le Mans it was used on the Shelby Caravan promotional tour perhaps the number was changed from 7 to 30 then?
GT/103 and GT/104 were in Shelby colours Guardsman Blue with twin white central stripes.
Regards Allan

I agree with Jim its GT40P/1004. The white strip across the front clip is the only GT40 in Rob Walkers colours. The number 30 is a bit puzzling as there is no GT40 in any race around that time 1965. After the Le Mans it was used on the Shelby Caravan promotional tour perhaps the number was changed from 7 to 30 then?
GT/103 and GT/104 were in Shelby colours Guardsman Blue with twin white central stripes.
Regards Allan

Tis the Rob Walker car, it had the #30 prior to airlift to France Le Mans... pic in: Shelby GT40 by Dave Friedman, page 57 . Further pics on P58/64 of same car with #7

Gentlemen,

Thanks to all for the prompt and informative replies. With your direction it is presumably GT40 P 1004.
Further the numbering of 30 would seem to date this picture as pre LeMans 65 as GT40 P 1004 can now be seen as a participant in the Cobra Caravan as number 7. Does anyone know if GT40 p 1004 ever ran as number 30 in this period of 1965 ?

(This helps my field of interest which is dating the 1965 Mustangs in the backround, specifically if those cars were future 1965 GT-350s or future 1966 'Carryover' GT-350s)

I appreciate the collegial help.

Regards,
Steve

Attachments

• shelby_caravan.jpg
    shelby_caravan.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 378
Last edited:

Michael Holmes

Lifetime Supporter
103 & 104 were prototype cars that were first run by ford in 64, P1004 was a production MKl. This has to be 103 or 104, not 1004.

G.McNutt and all,

That is an outstanding link provided from the Benson Ford archive, thank you.

My initial posted photo must have been between March 1965 (when SAI El Segundo/ West Imperial opened) and the embarkation depicted for LeMans 1965 (June 19-20 I recall??).
That appears to be when GT40 P 1004 wore '30'.
It may well have been June 8, 1965 when SAI held an open house for the Ford Motor executives and was widely photographed.
Amongst the many interesting aspects of the Benson Ford archive are absolutely no pics of the SAI West Imperial facility in this trove ( where the initial pic was taken).
All of the LAX airport pics were at the former TWA cargo facility just north of Rwy 25R whereas SAI was midfield S of Rwy 25L.

Regards

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 315
I think that the line on your post "I was so much older then" might apply to Ronnies book launch!!!?
I know there was another GT40 running with a 325. But Rob Walkers P1004 had this engine fitted but they were not allowed to race with it. And had had to fit the 289. I wonder was this engine in the car when it was shipped? Or was the 325 fitted at Le Mans???
Regards Allan

Back