John Ethelridge

Charlie Farley

Supporter
Keith, try this.
I was lucky to meet him on two occasions, what a charming gent,with a twinkle in his eye, as he recounted stories of yore.
A real loss.
One such story was about the legendary ' Chicken Switch '
He put quite a spin on its use.
I'm sure quite a few who frequent this forum knew him much better then me.

RIP John R Etheridge 1941-2014 | Classic and Sports Car

Last edited:
I met the late John Etheridge and he was a very knowledgable gentleman. He was at the forefront of the GT40 back in the day and it's a pity he and his like are growing old and passing on. Thank you John for your kind words and advice when I met you... Andrew

Charlie Farley

Supporter
Graham,

Don't shoot the messenger,
it's a sloppy, easy mistake and one which i would
have presumed was beneath you...
All you can find to criticise is a simple typo ?
What was it that annoyed you today then ???
It's a shame you missed your chance to add something positive
to this post.....

Last edited:
What a shame; RIP John Etheridge. I first met him in the 1980's when he was renovating a GT40 I think it was P/1001. It was going to be at a Shell 100 event at Silverstone. I went to see it at his business place in Bushey. I know he had a set of GT40 body parts for sale then for £500. I had seen him a few years ago at the Goodwood Revival. Then I met him and had my picture taken in front of the 1965 GT40P/1006 FAV Le Mans entry at the 2013 Goodwood Revival Whitsun Trophy by the French owner. He was a friendly and very helpful to me. He will be sorely missed; my condolency to his family.
Regards Allan

Extremely sorry to hear of John's passing.
I echo everything said by Maitland Cook in his C&SC Obituary.
I had the pleasure to meet up with John on a few occasions, Chelsea Auto Legends and at a favorite haunt of his, Gelscoe. He would always make time to talk to you.
A true gentle man, to quote DP.
RIP

In Memory of John R Etheridge.

My father and I met john in the late 70’s, I spent some time working on p1078 and some E-types in his Chelsea workshop, and would like to send my condolences to his family, John was a gentleman with a great sense of humor and always had time for any car enthusiast of any age and I still have fond memories of that time.

His legacy will live on with the GT40 the greatest race car ever Rip John.

Mark R Harrison

Graham,

Don't shoot the messenger,
it's a sloppy, easy mistake and one which i would
have presumed was beneath you...
All you can find to criticise is a simple typo ?
What was it that annoyed you today then ???
It's a shame you missed your chance to add something positive
to this post.....

No, it is not an easy mistake, and it was sloppy, especially for such an important figure in the "world of GT40 development, racing and history.

Look at your first post and you will clearly see that you made no condolence comment whatsoever. I did.

Back