P/1046 Restoration Making News

Jeff I hope you paint on the New Zealand Fern and the letters NZ on the drivers side of the car just ahead of the door. I understand the car has a new owner and thats why it did not make the Hampton Park event in the UK. Good luck to you and the owner on its restoration.
Regards Allan

Ron Earp

Admin
Sure, post away. It'd be great to see basically a build thread of the restoration. But if you decide to do that I ask you to commit to it and see it through.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Re: 1046 Restoration

Wasn't this car previously owned by George Stauffer, who restored it already? I would think at this point preservation would be more appropriate.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Enough about what was paid for it please....
Let's focus on the car and the process of bringing it back to its glory.

Thank you..

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Merged the two threads on this subject..

Carry on please Jeff!

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Of course no one is going to say what they paid for it lol! It would still be interesting to know given the previous benchmark set by 1075 and 1046 having possibly even more prominence. Maybe it will go to auction when the restoration is complete and we will see a new benchmark set.

Thanks for such an outpouring of support and feedback on our restoration. I can tell you this; the car was owned by George and he did restore it in the '90's, but it was not restored properly. We are taking it back to its luster the day it left CA and rolled onto the track at LeMans. It will be just like it was that day, fresh and correct!

As for cost to acquire it, let's just say it was a LOT of money! :)

I was excited to see the recent press regarding 1046. I operate at a much smaller scale...1/25 and 1/24 scale models to be precise. I'm a model builder with a keen interest in the history of the cars. I have nearly all the published books on GT40's. I've also traveled the country to see vintage events. I've had the good fortune of seeing 1046 at several events. I used vintage photos and my own from those events to build an "accurate" scale model. Can you be more specific about what was not proper about the previous restoration? I will likely build another model of 1046 car based on your postings in this thread.

Things like the body panels to wiring and incorrect bolts and clamps. The fiberglass panels were made too thick and were too stiff and heavy. The original body was very thin, lightweight and pliable to a point. All panels will be reproduced to replicate the way it should have been the day it rolled onto the track in 1966. We do have the original rear bonnet and that will be restored and hung on the car.

Thanks for the info. Not knowing the car, I wondered why not leave it 'as is' instead of restoring it. Now it makes more sense.

Looking forward to seeing more of the car and your progress!

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks for the info. Not knowing the car, I wondered why not leave it 'as is' instead of restoring it. Now it makes more sense.

Looking forward to seeing more of the car and your progress!

Agreed. Really looking forward to the completed product. Any chance Rick Muck you can invite these guys to the GT40 reunion? That was would a fantastic addition to the gathering.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Jeff, these cars (as old race cars) had a lot of bits and pieces changed out for race prep each time they were campaigned. Does 1046 still have the engine and drive train (T44) that it had when it won LeMans in 1966? I'm just curious. Also, is there anything particular about driving it that stood out to you?

Years ago, I asked Harley Cluxton what it was like to drive 1075, which he had owned for a few years before selling it to the Waltons, I think. He said other than the enjoyment of driving a car which had won LeMans twice, it was the best shifting GT40 he'd ever driven. I'm curious to know what your impressions of 1046 are. I didn't realize George had replaced the bodywork- I thought it was all original.

Engine and trans are original, as are many parts on the car. I think the transmission was rebuilt after problems developed with it. I personally have not driven the car, but Rob did drive it. I don't know what his impressions were nor if there were any particular things about it that he liked. The body was definitely not correct, but it will be when the restoration is completed.

Glenn B.

Lifetime Supporter
Please consider this request:

Hire an excellent photographer/videographer to document the "before", "in-process", and "complete" views of the project. The quality of the initial images and videos that were posted leave much to be desired to those of us who crave to be as close to every detail of the restoration as possible. This iconic car deserves nothing but the best...including the images of its transformation!

Thanks.

Back