GT 40 289 Engine Dates

I was wanting comments as to what 289 engine date code would be appropriate for a GT 40 that started it build in August 1966? Does anyone have detailed photos of an original configuration of the HIPO 289 in a GT 40 of that year? I am interested in the "Road Car" Configuration. Thank you in advance for your help!

Doc Watson

Lifetime Supporter
This might help....

Although I don't think it includes an engine code.

I think a HiPo 289 1965 block will be the one to get.

Andy

edit: watch out for early 289 blocks which have 5 bolt mounting not 6

Attachments

• road289gt40.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 277
Last edited:
C5AE-A, C5OE-A, C6AE-C casting numbers should all be OK, I would have to double check that last C6AE-C one for august 66 though., bit questionable on the 'road car' designation, do you want the MK3 long tail style?

Are you looking for the assembly date code stamped on the edge of the block by the driver side cylinder head, or the casting date down behind the starter ? The assembly date code can be anywhere from a week before the car was assembled, on up to several months.

Z

I am looking for the range of casting dates that a street version GT 40 would have if the car started assembly in August 66. Allowing time for shipping from Ford and build time at the Ford Engine plant. Thank you for your help

Back