Identify this '40

Pat

Supporter
Does anyone know which '40 this might be?

Attachments

• S6001167.jpg
    S6001167.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 576
  • SA GT401.jpg
    SA GT401.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 411
  • S6001179.jpg
    S6001179.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 484
Like I always say, original GT40s are incredibly rare now - only 168 original cars were built, and only 242 of those survive today.......

Its a shame that's this is a fake because I have seen pictures of the real GT40P/1048 in the 3 Hours Le Mans race in 1971 with a cut off tail like a Porsche 917 K shorttail. Unique for a GT40!!!

Well, this sounds like it may be part-1048.......Sbarro presumably using some parts from the burned 1048, adding his own chassis then selling it as "restored".

Trouble is, it sounds like he sold on the leftovers including a burned chassis to another buyer and also called it "1048." No doubt because there was more money in it for Sbarro to restore and create two GT40s from the wreck of one.....

In Ronnie book published in 1986 there were 134 cars built including MKIVs/J-car. In 1966 when the GT40 had its second homologation there were not even 50 built. So when you say 168 were do you get your figures for originals? The last car built in JWAE Slough was P/1084. The last numbered chassis was P/1086.
Regards Allan

In Ronnie book published in 1986 there were 134 cars built including MKIVs/J-car. In 1966 when the GT40 had its second homologation there were not even 50 built. So when you say 168 were do you get your figures for originals? The last car built in JWAE Slough was P/1084. The last numbered chassis was P/1086.
Regards Allan

Gents, I was just kidding.....using build numbers pulled out of nowhere to illustrate the (hopefully humorous) point.

I've read Ronnie's book in some detail and you're correct - looks like the original build number is in the low-ish 100's including some of various permutations such as the mirage cars, etc.

Cliff I get the Joke. But you might be right in reality because the amount of Glescoe and continuation cars that are eligible with the right papers will certainly increased the amount of GT40's racing. I counted 16 out of 28 GT40's racing in the 2013 Whitsun Trophy at Goodwood should have been ineligible because they were fake; not built built before 1966 and new cars. In fact recently three car (a Lola T70IIIB and two Chevrons B8's) in one of the masters races were penalized 45 seconds for not have the FIA Historic passport. I am not against Glescoes involvement but see that's the way Historic racing is going with the originals getting too costly to participate in. I think its ironic to have to get FIA papers to prove your car is original every five years!
Regards Allan

Cliff I get the Joke. But you might be right in reality because the amount of Glescoe and continuation cars that are eligible with the right papers will certainly increased the amount of GT40's racing. I counted 16 out of 28 GT40's racing in the 2013 Whitsun Trophy at Goodwood should have been ineligible because they were fake; not built built before 1966 and new cars. In fact recently three car (a Lola T70IIIB and two Chevrons B8's) in one of the masters races were penalized 45 seconds for not have the FIA Historic passport. I am not against Glescoes involvement but see that's the way Historic racing is going with the originals getting too costly to participate in. I think its ironic to have to get FIA papers to prove your car is original every five years!
Regards Allan

Yeah Allan, I hear you.

I think a lot of the vintage racing clubs would be facing diminishing group sizes with the rapid rise in value of important vintage race cars....such as original GT40s. Most (all?) insurance companies won't cover track time for these valuable machines....and when you're running next to a much less valuable vintage racer who is comfortable going sideways then it can be concerning.

One argument which may have merit is that the admission of replicas into vintage racing is speeding the departure of originals for two reasons: a) replicas are driven with much greater abandon thus making originals less competitive, and b) owners of originals choose to run a replica rather than an original (I personally know of one such example).

On a limited basis, the recreations/replicas seem to have a legitimate place in vintage racing. Our local vintage racing association is just starting to test this out. However, I know if I had just paid $3million for an original with cast iron heads on a 289 and a replica with a Roush 427 going half sideways passed me on the straight.....I'd be a little miffed. But that's just me.

Back