MkI with MkII nose

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Why do several of the MK1s on the historic racing circuit appear to be running MkII nose pieces? Better aero?

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter

These are NOT MK II noses. They do share the "single out" radiator outlet but a gennie MK II"A" nose has higher wheel arches. A MK II"B" nose also has a modified lower center grille opening and the hatch for fluid reservoir access as well as a revised shape on the vertical area in front of the tires.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
'Have no idea if 'tis true or not, but, I was told one cannot fit a stock MKII nose onto a stock MKI. Why that's the case, I have no idea...unless there are subtle differences between the two cars in the nose mounting points.

I'd bet the farm it could be done if someone was even marginally determined to do so...but, supposedly, it's not a 'straight across' swap.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
MkI

1075375-1024.jpg

1075370-1024.jpg

1075376-1024.jpg

Higher arches more like MkII

1075377-1024.jpg

1075408-1024.jpg

1075327-1024.jpg

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
A photo taken from straight on would tell the tale. From that vantage point, the 'sides' of a MKII's front fenders are pretty much straight up-and-down where they meet the tires...as opposed to being 'curved under' on a MKI.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Are you saying you cannot see the difference between these two nose pieces?

1075376-1024.jpg

1075377-1024.jpg

1075373-1024.jpg

Last edited:

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
I'm saying there is no doubt as to which front end one is looking at when viewed directly from the front.

Yeah, if one looks CLOSE at the photos you've posted, one can see a bit of a difference...sort of...but, whether or not that's due to the power of suggestion more than anything else is another matter. (The camera angle isn't 'the best' in any of them as far as determining which is which.)

Edit: Note the 'fog light lens' in the red #6 MKI and the gold #22 MKII above. Even though the camera angle is almost E-X-A-C-T-L-Y the same...do you see what appears to be a difference in the amount of 'wrap around' between the two lenses? Camera angle can play tricks.

Last edited:

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Power of suggestion? There is clearly a significant difference. They may not be MkII noses but the lines are entirely different.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Sheesh Larry. You suggested the perceived difference is created by the power of suggestion. There are clearly differences. I'm not debating anything. I was curious why some of the MkIs appear to have a nose section that looks a lot more like a MkII nose than a MkI nose. You certainly don't need to see one directly from the front to spot it. Maybe there are multiple noses I don't know. Hence the thread and pictures.

Not wishing to state the obvious but, GT40s racing today run a lot lower than they did in the 1960s so the raised front fenders give the necessary clearance to stop the front tyres wearing away the bodywork. Paul Hawkins did the same with his cars in the 1960s.

They're not MK.II body panels as they have the central NACA duct which the Mk.II didn't have.

Regards,

I always thought that the definative MKII's front clip was the result of the bottoming at Daytona in 1966; but it was not the case. The MKII's have a hump over each wheel wells where as the MKI has a flatter area over the same spot. MKII front clips should fit MKI since there were several MKI suppllied with MKII tail clips when despatched. Ronnie said there was two inches added to the chassis at the back but I might of heard this wrong. The chassis on all MKII were basic GT40P production chassis. So probably with minor modification MKI, MKII and MKIII body panels should fit!! The only car not to fit it obviously the MKIV a completely new car and chassis a J-car. When comparing a 1966 MKIIA and 1967 MKIIB its a bit like comparing the bodies of the 289 Cobra with the 427. The MKIIB was a MKIIA on Testoron Its front was wider and taller than the previous year car. Yes, there's an elimination of the NACA duct on the MKII. The front panel is hinged on the MKIIA. I have a suspicion that Andrew Newly MKI might be running with a MKII front clip??
Regards Allan

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Good info Allan thanks! There are several images of 1070 and 1005 that look to me to have higher arches than the standard MkI nose piece.

23413444282_11f5267ab8_b.jpg

m_3990001_25.09.10i-%20283.jpg

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
^^^ But, if you'll notice, Mike...the outside surface of fenders in the 2 photos above aren't darned near 'vertical' where they meet the tires the way a MKII's fenders are.

The 'humps' over the tires may be the same(?) as on a MKII...but, 'me' bets they were grafted onto the MKI fenders if that's the case.

Compare:

TED_5589-X3.jpg

Last edited:
Back