GT103 and GT104

A month or so back I was contacted and was honored to make the head and running light covers for GT103, which as most know is one of the original twelve prototypes and is the oldest Ford GT in existence. It was being restored back to the number 73 car that won the 1965 Daytona 24 hours for the Pebble Beach Concourse. The week before it was to be at Pebble Beach, I was vacationing nearby the restoration shop and was invited to come by to see GT103 and it's Daytona sister car GT104 (number 72). I rode in GT105 back in 1994, so I'm so glad to be one of very few people (besides the drivers of the day) that has seen and touched prototype GTs 103, 104, and 105. The thrill of seeing them both and riding in GT105 will never be forgotten in my Blue Oval journey. Attached are photos of GT103 with my light covers at the Pebble Beach show. Also, I've attached a detail photo I took at the shop of the flow-through ducting unique to the prototypes that is still being built into the new Ford GTs, for example where the turbo intercooler heat is exited around the tail lights.

Thanks,
Mark Clapp

Attachments

• GT103 1a.jpg
    GT103 1a.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 506
  • GT103 2a.jpg
    GT103 2a.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 470
  • GT103 5a.jpg
    GT103 5a.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 496
  • GT103 6a.jpg
    GT103 6a.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 652
Last edited:

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Mark -
Thanks for posting those photos... Quite the honor to have your work incorporated in cars like these..
I find the hatch on the right side of the rear clip interesting. Presumably to gain quick access to the coolant reservoir...

Hi Randy,

Thanks, contributing a small part to GT103 is a thrill for me. I'm sure you're right that the small hatch on the rear driver's side is to add coolant without having to lift the rear clam.

Mark C.

Hi Lee,

Molds with the shape for the prototype GT light covers were loaned to me. As you can see in the photos, the prototype headlights are more forward than on the "LeMans nose" body front pieces on the production race and road cars. I make patterns from the molds and basically heat and form the plastic into the molds, which is a technique I've worked out over the last 15 years starting with making light covers for my own GT40 replica.

Mark C.

Keith

Well that sure looks a lot different from the Bill Wonder days! Shame it didn't retain the Indy DOHC engine though...

Where does 103 live these days? Does it ever come out to play?

Hi Keith, I'm sure the Indy motor was kept but of course it wasn't in the car when it won the 1965 Daytona.

Randy, I believe I know what the side hatch just behind the driver's door is for. Some pictures were sent to me when GT103 was at Pebble, which I've zoomed in on. It looks like there was some type of oil filler as you can make out the word "Oil" in the zoomed-in photo. I've not seen such a filler before.

Mark C.

Attachments

• GT103 7a.jpg
    GT103 7a.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 377
  • GT103 8a.jpg
    GT103 8a.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 370
That oil filler tube would likely line up with the position of the early 289 timing cover which had the filler tube incorporated in it instead of the later rocker cover versions. Would have been impossible to get at the original. Those Indy versions were also dry sump with all the pumps in the pan, will have to dig thru some Indy pics to confirm that filler tube and where it actually goes to.

Last edited:

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Interesting Mark - thanks for posting those...
I also spied a fuel pump on the right side bulkhead. That was also uncommon from pictures I've seen placing them always on the left side.

Back