Mario Andretti crashes at Indy

Howard Jones

Supporter
Wow I was just talking to Mario at Long Beach after his autograph session on friday. I have said hello to him so many times in the last 25 years or so I think he thinks I'm someone that he should remember my name . So he always says how have you been. We talked a short time about the lotus 79 he drove his world championship year,it was there part of the Historic F1 race, and I asked him if he was going to give us all a thrill, he said well we'll see how the weekend goes. He didnt get in the car in the end. I have always been a mario fan and really had hoped that he could have done well a few years ago when he and Mike did Le Mans together. That kind of crash would have killed him in any car that he ever drove at Indy befor now. The tubs have really improved. They have got to be just about unbreakable. This one was pretty much all together after what had to be a VERY hard hit. Mike had a very bad flip at road Ohio i think about 2-3 years ago and I saw that one live on TV. I really thought we had lost him. Those too guys really have had some bad race luck but when it cam time to take a luck withdrawal from the chance bank the check was good when it needed to be. God bless the Andretti's.

Back