What ya drivin ?

Hi Guys

Was just wondering what my fellow GT40 petrol heads have as daily drivers. What wonderful pieces of machinery do you commute to work in, do the school run in or take to the supermarket.

What kind of wheels give you at least some substitute excitement while you build up the cash for your GT40 kit or wait for your fingerprints to return after another month's sanding the bodywork !

Personally, in my 30 years of driving I can't see past anything with a blue oval. From 3 litre Capris, 2.8 & 2.9 Granadas, Sapphire Cosworths up to my present mode of transport a Mondeo ST200 V6 (our American cousins call this a Contour I think) I've had some great performance Fords over the years. Even had a V8 once, unfortunately it was a Buick derived Rover P5B Saloon, the type Margaret Thatcher used to get driven around in, a very misguided episode in my driving life.

So, what ya drivin ?

The daily driver is a 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin-Turbo. It makes for a fun drive. It is a little 2 seater, with the 3L turbo engine putting out around 300 horsepower, backed up by a 5 speed manual transmission. Neat little car!

In the garage is my fair weather fun driver... the '68 Camaro.

John

Slighty modified and customized 2001 Corvette.

DragonHood8.JPG

The 1978 Corvette Pace Car next to mine was one of 3 Corvettes I owned at the time. I recently sold it to a friend. Wife drives a 91 Corvette Convertible when not driving her Mercedes.

She's wanting to trade her Vette in on a Jag XKR Convertible. I'm hoping to trade my Vette in on new GT. If all goes as plan, we'll trade the Mercedes in on a Jaguar XJR.

John

The 300Zx is quite a popular motor in the UK although most seem to be owned by the 'Fast & Furious' brigade. There's a pearlescent white one around my neck of the woods with the usual drainpipe exhausts and megabuck hifi which is reckoned to produce around 650 bhp without nitrous !

I just took the car cover off my 1997 BMW M3 5-speed sedan and burned through a half tank of gas last week, given the almost-spring-like conditions here in New England. By far the best car I've ever owned. I also have a 1993 Toyota Camry as my "winter beater."

M3%20Sedan.jpg

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Volvo S80 T6 (for the family), Ford Explorer (for pulling - not chicks!) , Ford Focus (for commuting), Renault Clio 1.4r (its the nearest thing to a go-kart),Ducati 999 (BECAUSE ! ! - SO THERE), Peugeot Speedfight II (for traffic jams in Italy), MGBGT ( for massaging my masochistic streak), and a Mercedes 316CDI ( A WHITE VAN !! to get around Europe in comfort)
Dave M

1994 Ford Tbird LX with a 2002 Aluminum modular 4.6 and SVO Eaton M112 blower. The mustang crowd never suspects anything at the track until its too late /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I also have a masochistic streak....1968 Jaguar E-type

Company Car: Skoda Octavia RS - uprated 225hp Audi TT engine - I was dreading a Skoda after Audis, BMWs etc but it's the best company car I've had. 40mpg and bags of performance. Swapping this year for a yellow one exactly the same /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

n1484.jpg

Summer cars: Datsun 2000 and 1600 Roadsters - have appeared in lots of books, classic car mags, etc. Nissan even came over from Tokyo to do a piece on both cars for their Motorsports annual. That was quite an honour. Great fun, they eat MGs and Triumphs and they're very unusual over here. And yes the steering wheel is on the wrong side.

hotcarsfront.gif

Cheers.

Rob

Replica Porsche 550 spyder
1985 Porsche 911 Targa
1999 VW Passat V6 GLX
1970 VW van
1971 VW Westafalia Van
1966 VW bug

A V8 is a step in a different (better?) direction!

sirjys,

I really like the car. A lot of the people that drive them here are also from the "fast and furious" crowd as well though... Mine is also Pearl White. It is incredible how much power can be had from these with just bolt on parts! Just changing the computer's fuel and timing curves can net 70 horsepower on an otherwise stock engine!

I promised myself I wouldn't dump too much money into this one though... parts for the old Chevy cost enough... parts for this thing are at least 5 times as expensive!

John

Hi John

I never had a 300ZX though I've been tempted a few times. I know a few guys who swear by them, and swear at them when they blow a turbo, but still stick with them. I've always been a Z car enthusiast - I bought my first, a new 260Z, in 1978. Below is my last "summer car", a 260Z Roadster, one of only two conversions in the UK. I threw a stack of money at that car. It had a Samuri engine, triple Webers, adjustable suspension, etc, etc, but something had to give so I sold it this winter. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

260ZFront.jpg

Rob

current run-around is a mini pick-up painted in a jigsaw puzzle paint scheme.sold/selling the other minis to finance the cav. not bad upgrade i suppose!!

[ QUOTE ]
Hi John

I never had a 300ZX though I've been tempted a few times.

[/ QUOTE ]I use to own a 240Z, the 10 year anniversary edition. Wife and I recently test drove the new Z. Very disappointed. A tad bit slow for our liking. At the time, they didn't have the Z convertibles in yet. The coupe was very difficult to see out of.

On a funny side note, have you guys noticed that most cars that have turbos, including twin turbos or superchargers, really aren't all that fast? Why go to the expense by a manufacturer to add this if they don't want a real go fast car?

Heck, my current Vette, with just a few mods is only about 400 HP. The only current regular production cars that will take it, not counting the exotics, is a Viper or Porsche TT Carrara. I may have left one or two out, but gee, I like fast. It makes up for the times I have to drive my Conversion Van for my Karate business. 8 Miles to the gallon, 0-60 in about an hour /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
I beg to differ. Try the Volvo S80 T6 (twin turbo) rechipped in manual select with traction off.
150 mph + no problems.And it's not even a sports model !!
Dave M

150? That's all? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The Volvo S80 T6 weights 3,583 lbs and puts out 286 HP.

My 2001 Corvette Coupe came stock with 350 HP and weights about 3,300 lbs.

The Volvo is probably fast, but not as fast as I personally like. Heck, it may even be a much better car. Corvettes aren't particularly known for quality.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
I don't think there is any contest. I know the Volvo is a far better product and it has more airbags than a bouncy castle. In 2001/2, voted the safest car in the world and you know what I would change it for ? Another just the same.
Now the Ducati 999 - probably the best fun you can have with your clothes on !!! and just so incredibly redolent of Italian testosterone - sorry make that design. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Dave M

Back