Next 12 Daytona Coupes by Shelby

I just got my Kruse auction catalog for Auburn. Kruse will auction #7/12 of the authorized Shelby Daytona coupes at the upcoming Auburn auction. The catalog says it will be built to your specs. Says #1-6 gone already. It will be titled as a 1985 Shelby Daytona.

No mention of reserve. I would have posted on GT 40 for sale but it notes 'not authorized to post' in that section.

Hey Ron, trade Lotus for the 76 Eldorado convertible for a weekend?

I was unaware of any new coupes being built by Shelby. Any additional information or a web site I could check out?

He built 6 more McCluskey-bodied coupes on old original Cobrass chassis. One of them was at Monterey last year, driven by Derek Bell. They are *not* cheap - price is in the $1 million range...

There are a few McCluskey Daytonas out there. A couple have been on eBay in the last year or two. I've heard that one of them--which had a number of "non-original" features--could have been had for around $150K. It is my recollection that most of the McCluskey cars are not built on original Cobra chassis but are all-new. The very first McCluskey car was built for Lynn Park, and that one was done on an original 289 chassis that had been resurrected from a garage fire. I believe that is the car referenced above that was driven by D. Bell at Monterey. Although several of his initial Daytonas were done on original chassis, I think the majority of the McCluskey replicas are just that. They are amazingly beautiful cars, regardless.

http://www.mccluskeyltd.com/

Bob,

I think you're correct about Lynn park owning the car that ran at Monterey. But now I wonder is there a distinction between a McCluskey Daytona Coupe and one of the new Shelby coupes? I thought they were separate and that McCluskey was just supplying the bodies to Shelby, but now I'm not sure...

From the McCluskey website:
[ QUOTE ]
"I am currently building #13, #14 and #15 in a limited series of Daytona Coupes with hand-made aluminum bodies. Six are on original roadster chassis, the other frames are newly fabricated to original specifications. These are the most detailed, exacting projects being hand-crafted today. All materials and construction techniques are duplicated to create a most perfect clone of the original 35-year-old, $4,000,000 + car of 1965 Le Mans specifications."

[/ QUOTE ]

By the way, moderator: this post is making me feel uptight. I think it belongs in another area (like Off Topic, sad to say /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif )

Note the sentence where McCluskey says he built the 43
427SC "continuation" chassis for Shelby.
Seems I recall Shelby claimed they were original chassis
he "found" laying around. Wonder what happened to the 40
chassis that didn't sell...

MikeD

Back