Australian Ford Falcon Head

I am looking for a 70's Ford Falcon straight 6 head from down under. Evidently the later engine came with a separate intake manifold unlike the US version which is cast into the head. I don't know exactly which car it came in or the exact years it was produced.
Bill

Hi Bill
There was a pre cross flow head with removable intake fitted to the XY Falcons (called the 2V )in the late sixties that should fit the American block. But these are quite rare, I was looking for one in the late eighties (for my XB )and when I found one the bloke wanted more than what my car cost.
In the mid seventies Ford Australia produced a cross flow 200/250 with removable manifolds first in cast iron then in aluminium, but the blocks are different.
Are you looking for the pre cross flow (2V) head of a complete cross flow motor ?
hope this helps

Clayton /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The 2V heads hey? Now there is something that I thought had been lost in time. If I remember correctly, they were found in some optioned GS model XW and XY Falcons and were rare back then too. I also remember people attempting to cut and machine the cast manifold with varying levels of success.

One thing I cleary remember though about those engines. Give them a twin two inch exhaust system, and you would struggle to tell the sound from a V8... but then again, I am remembering from the ears of a then 17yo /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Ron Earp

Admin
Don't know much about the AUS 6s but I had a 200 straight in a 1980 Mustang. Everyone said it wouldn't run for sh*%, but when my dad and I were through with it it smoked many a drag race 8 in its' day. Great sound!!

Yes, I am looking for the 2V head and manifold. I have seen a couple advertized. I can't believe how much they want for a used cast iron head. I can buy a set of NEW Edelbrock aluminum heads for my 427 for the same price. I think I will get a boneyard head and start cutting. Carving it up and welding sounds like the way to go. In the meantime, if anyone finds a 2V for a reasonable number please let me know.
Bill

With better cast iron welding rods available now days you may well have more success then I did many years ago.
Tried cutting off the whole manifold and brazing on a plate for triple DCOE's, couldn't stop it cracking. Next tried slicing off half the manifold and adding 1/2"x 1/8" plate to increase the volume......(as soon as there was a heat cycle it would crack )another one for the bin.
Next one only had the carby bore opened up to fit the 500 holley 2 barrel on side ways and this with an 1/8" shaved off the head (just a little more compression /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif)
Ah...the wonders of youth.

Yes Chris I would agree with you on the sound the twin system made. I can still remember my mates XY GS with 2V head and twin system, very nice /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Clayton

J What,

I have sent you a couple of contacts that may have something for you. I sent those details to the email address listed in your profile.
I am also in touch with a speedway racer here who may be able to help.
I am led to believe that the heads were available on some XW, XY and XA variants and also on some local Cortina's (TC?) of the same era.
These are a very rare item but for some reason a few ended up in Tasmania.
One question remains though. Did you want the original manifold or did you want the aftermarket manifold that takes 3 SU's that was commonly fitted?
I do not know the people who's contact details I have sent you and have not seen the heads but I have queried at length to try to make sure they are the correct item.

Tim.

Tim
Was this one of the links you were referring to, $700 AUS for the head and manifolds. I have not seen the head nor do I know the seller. It may have been sold as it was listed in January

Clayton

The people whose details I passed on are locals. I found them by asking a few people that I thought might have information. I don't know whether they have tried selling on the Internet.

Tim.

Back