Who's your daddy...

Who\'s your daddy...

I just wrote this. Racers will know what this feels like -

Catch the 4 wheel drift, feather the throttle a bit. Redline, change from 3rd to 4th to 5th... Check mirrors.

Hit the brakes hard, heel and toe to keep the revs in sinc with rear wheels. Skip 4th, slot straight into 3rd, dab the throttle and ease it into 2nd to save the syncros. Check mirrors. Enough room to turn in a tad late and feed the power on just before the apex. Keep the balance. Push the limit of traction vs horsepower.

Check mirrors...

Pulled a nice little gap there. Now widen up the arc and let it open out in a straight line. 2nd to 3rd, check mirrors... Check oil pressure... 4th, check if he's gaining... Yep, he's coming. That bastard's fast in a straight line. Must have way better power to weight.

Next corner. Thank F*ck that straight was so short.

Check mirrors. Brake, pitch and don't screw it up now. Stay Smooth. Check mirrors. The gap's good. Short straight and one more corner to go. 2nd, 3rd, heel and toe right back into 2nd.

Pitch early and let it drift to show off for the spectators.

Check mirrors. Gap's still good. Let it run through the revs in 2nd and 3rd. Man that chessboard flag looks good every time I see it. Tap off and slow down. Gotta change a few things for heat 2. Front was pushing understeer through the last two laps. Camber angles, or was it tyres? Gotta think it through in the paddock just now...

Quick wave and thumbs up to the P2 guy cruising up beside. Yeah who's your daddy now eh?

Living? This is LIFE man...

Cheers,
Pierre.

Re: Who\'s your daddy...

Catches the feeling perfectly Pierre. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif How about one of that perfect pass now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks Chris, glad you enjoyed that. That was actually just an extract from something I wrote about a final lap around Kyalami in a race situation. The webmaster for a local racing series asked me to write something for their site and I just wanted to test the water before I submit the thing.

Below is a copy. I still don't know whether I should let them publish this or not. Excuse the local slang.

----------------------------------

Pit Straight. Check mirrors. Nobody behind. Just him in front. Him and me. Worked damn hard to catch him. Gotta stay tucked under his wing. Change from 2nd to 3rd, over the start / finish line, hook 4th and hit the two bumps where the pitlane exit joins up with the pit straight...

He's pulling a slight gap. Penzoil 1, the first right hander kink. Close the gap, back to 3rd and feather the throttle. He's a bit down on corner speed, that's good. That's why I managed to catch up. Penzoil 2, feed the power on. I think the Penzoil curves are called by some other name now, but when I started racing they were the Penzoil curves, so Penzoil it will be for now.

Apex the curb and close up to him. Crawl down his tail pipes. Full taps now. Start the climb up to Nashua. Stay under his wing. Gotta hang on. This time it's working. His rear wing is hopping about, taking up my line of sight. So close I can see the carbon fibre pattern on the diffuser. If he taps off now I'll probably hit him right up the arse. He's checking his mirrors. Getting nervous? Good.

Nashua Corner. Now's the time. Move over as he hits the brakes. Take a lunge up the inside. He shuts the door. We touch. No more room, time to back off. He's got the line anyway. If I had a say I'd re-design this corner with more space on the inside.

He got off the brakes early and slipped back into the lead. Now let's see if he can carry the extra corner speed. Up on the flat section exiting Nashua he starts losing the rear-end as expected.

Time to make him pay. Keep it tight. Slip past on the inside. Check mirrors. He's got two wheels on the dirt and struggling for grip. He-he. Time to get away.

Old pit straight. 3rd, 4th, 5th. Check mirrors. Nice gap but not enough. He's coming. That bastard's fast in a straight line. Must have better power to weight. Check oil pressure and temp.

Time to think about Sunset Bend, or whatever they call it lately. Sunset will be Sunset. Man this is such a nice sweeper. Later in the day the sun gets in your eyes. That's why it'll always be Sunset to me.

Dab the brakes. Back to 4th. Turn in late. Feather the throttle. Keep it smooth and find the balance. Hug the inside curb and feed the power on. Open up the radius. Full taps now and push the limit of traction. Lekker four wheel drift. Use all the track space and then some. Use the curb also. Twitchy twitchy over the bumps on the outside. Check mirrors. Gap's the same, that's good. Gotta try and stretch it now.

Briefly up to 5th. Straighten out and hit the brakes hard for Clubhouse Corner. Heel and toe to keep the revs in sync with the rear wheels. Forget 4th, slot straight into 3rd, dab the throttle and ease it into 2nd to save the syncros. This is not the time to break that suspect gearbox. Pitch in, apex and put the left front wheel just on the inside of that dark rectangular patch on the track surface. Feed the power on. Use the curb on the exit.

Check mirrors. Gotta keep that gap and think ahead. He's got more straight-line speed. Going up to Wesbank and coming down the mineshaft will not be easy. Have to stay in the lead somehow.

Short straight. Up into 3rd, dab the brakes and line up for the Esses. Use the curb and plunge into a tight line through the first ess. Pick the sweet line through the second. That elusive sweet line. Get back on the power early. Apex, full taps and let it run out wide. Use the curb. Twitchy. Hmmm, got through that one nicely.

Check oil pressure and temp. Up into 4th and climb the hill up to Wesbank. Check mirrors, where is he? He's gaining fast. If he passes here it's game over. Gotta keep him behind. Have to block. Check mirrors, hook 5th, check mirrors again. Who's nervous now?

Up on the table top into Wesbank. Gotta protect the inside line. Hit the brakes and aim for the inside apex. Slam down three gears. Either that gearbox lets go, or this race is won. He's trying around the outside, sucker! Time to double apex and force him wide. Get back on the power early, up to 3rd and watch that negative camber on the exit. Traction feels good.

Mine shaft beckons. Heehaw, here we go. Check mirrors. He's not there anymore! Must've screwed up through Wesbank. Ha-ha, got you lekker there, bud.

Hurtle downhill. Go-go-go! Picking up speed and revs quickly. Hook 4th. Check mirrors. There he is again and he's closing the gap! Change to 5th and line up for the sweeper. No lifting up on the throttle this time, no sir. This race is mine, I can taste victory.

Push the limit of traction. Watch out for those bumps in mid corner. They unsettle the car at high speed. Things get twitchy, very twitchy. Huge four wheel drift. Catch the drift, feather the throttle a bit. Can you say slingshot? Will have to visit the men's room after this race.

No time, no time! The Bowl is here. Boy, this right-hander just got closer today! Hit the brakes hard. Go through the motions, heel and toe to keep the revs in sync with the rear wheels, skip 4th, slot straight into 3rd, dab the throttle and ease it into 2nd. Remember to save them syncros. Hey gearbox, please don't let me down now.

Check mirrors. Enough room to turn in a tad late and feed the power on just before the apex. Keep the balance. Push the limit of traction vs horsepower. Check mirrors. Pulled a nice little gap through the bowl. He's all over the show. Must've cooked his tyres. Now widen up the arc and let it open out in a straight line. Use the curb. Redline 2nd to 3rd. Gearbox notchy. Check oil pressure. Check temp. Hook 4th, check if he's gaining. Yep, he's coming.

Next up the bus stop. Thank you Kyalami for making that straight so short. Check mirrors. Brake, pitch and better not screw it up now. Quick zigzag yank on the wheel and try to stay Smooth. Check mirrors. The gap's still there. Short straight and one more corner to go, 2nd, 3rd, heel and toe right back into 2nd. Pitch early and power on early. Let it drift a tad to show off for the spectators and pit crew. Check mirrors. Gap's still good.

Let it run through the revs in 2nd and 3rd. He's gaining again but there's no way in hell he's gonna beat me to the line.

Man that chessboard flag looks good every time I see it. Tap off and slow down. Good race. Gotta change a few things for heat 2. Front was pushing a little understeer through the last two laps. Camber angles, or was it tyres? May need some toe-in or less wing. Gotta think it through in the paddock and talk to the crew just now. And this gearbox worries me.

Quick wave and thumbs up to the P2 guy cruising up beside. Yeah who's your daddy now eh?

Living? This is LIFE man...

Pierre,

Go ahead... publish it. Live on the edge /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif !!!

I wrote something quite similar for a car club magazine many years ago in the hope that we would attract more club members to the track. I'm not sure how much credit that I can take, if any, but the club enjoyed some of the most prolific years of competition shortly after.

Its amazing how detailed your memory can be of a race. That contradicting feeling that everything is happening so slowly that you are able to take in so much detail, yet the whole race is over in a few short blinks.. all that adrenalin I s'pose.

Back