Jaguar V12s

Ron Earp

Admin
So what V12 do people use for their XJ13 replicas? Just curious. Middle 80s V12 are available here and there, but I don't know sqaut about any of these motors. Which ones are heaviest? Which ones are desirable? About the only V12 I can see being available are the Jaguars, to a lesser extent BMWs and MB. Obviously one would want to use a Jaguar unit in a Jaguar replica.

I thought everybody swapped out their Jaguar 12-cylinder engines for Chevy 350s because the Jaguars are a nightmare to work on & keep in tune. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

For example, I understand that you have to use shims to set the valve clearance on a Jaguar (at least those older ones). I suspect that once you've gone through the exercise once, you'll not be too anxious to do it again...

Not much aftermarket in Jaguar V12 engine parts either...

Ron Earp

Admin
Agreed, one of the engines I'm bidding on from Ebay is a 350 take out!

I'm sure later models do do the shim and bucket thing, at least I hope to hell not. As far as parts, well, I don't think they'd be that necessary. I mean, these things are large in displacement, are built beefy, and should respond to normal tricks - larger valves, head porting, etc.

R

I have rebuilt a few Jaguar engines years ago and it was no big deal. There is much more info available now then there was when I did those jobs. Parts a even cheaper with E-Bay shopping. One of the engines I did ended up in a replica cobra. I see the owner quite often and I will get a few pix of the install. A few special tools are needed but no great problem for some one who has been into a couple of engines. Once the valve shims are set right the engines seem to stay in adjustment fairly well.

Vic

Back