How to Pass the Time Waiting for Your GT40

I ordered my RF deluxe kit around Xmas. While waiting for the big day when I can start building, I decided to try and get some other things done in my shop . I knew once the car arrived any other big projects would be put behind the car so I decided to tackle the biggest woodworking project I have ever done (the only other thing Ive built out of wood is a martin house).Starting Jan. 15th and for the next 3 months in my spare time I converted the back end of my shop into my own little pub . I already had a fridge, stereo, and a big slot car layout , and would hang out in their long after any full sized car work was accomplished .
I first built a back bar cabinet , then the bar and finally a cabinet for the 52 inch big screen to sit up on.
the bar is 8ft , with a 6ft x 16 inch recess that is 3 3/4"
deep. I had a piece of tempered glass cut to match .
The lower front of the bar has 16 glass blocks flushed in with red rope lighting behind. The fridge , stereo (with cd and a turntable) , trash basket and some shelving are behind and under the bar. A friend loaned me a nice big table saw, jig saw, and roller tables that made this job possible. All i have is a small table top saw, circular saw, and drill.
I added pendant lights above the bar and halogens in the back cabinet, all with dimmers. Finally after waiting a month (back ordered /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif) my chairs came. I had to glue them all together and finish them as well.

Now I'm sourcing a 48 inch box brake, some better lighting for the front working end of the shop and some new tools.
I look forward to working on the GT , then when Im through for the night I can catch a good show on Speed,or listen to some Sinatra, and relax with a cold one.
Regards , Dan Weilacher /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Attachments

• 36907-DSC00021ab.jpg
    36907-DSC00021ab.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 324
Dan, That has got to be the ultimate working area. I'm worried that there maybe more relaxing and race watching than building. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Hey guys, Dan is a CART Safety tech and he has raced his own open wheeled car which he recently sold. He is multi talented in wood work and mechanical abilities. I look forward to seeing the progress on his RFGT40. Dan has also built a corvette Grand sport that was absolutely beautiful. But the lure of the GT has overcome him and he will embark on building a fine RFGT40. I personally know from meeting this gentleman that it will be an outstanding example when it is finished.
Sorry Dan, I know you wouldn't toot you're own horn. I hope you don't mind that I did.

Hersh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I think you just might have made a mistake showing this crowd your "workshop". With an area like that (and BEER!) you just might wind up with far more "help" than you ever wanted!!!

looks great - you've now set our expectations on just how nice your GT-40 will look!!!

dave

OH $*@% , Hersh your way too generous, now the pressure will really be on me.I know when I get stuck on the RF project I'll be crying to you on the phone ,LOL. Hey if any one is in the area they are always welcome for a cold one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif. Regards, Dan

Back