Looking for a Jensen Healy

Ron Earp

Admin
I've had a lot of fun in the last 6 months driving in some track events etc. and I have to say, I am bitten. I've not done much work on my 40 due to garage issues and moving, but at least I have done some driving.

Months ago I asked about some affordable SCCA racing and I'm learning a lot more through a couple of instructors and a buddy who races Improved Touring.

We've been trying to find an oddball car for IT that is not represented in the SouthEast. We've decided on a Jensen Healy with the Lotus 907 motor. I know the motor well since I have that in my Lotus and want to build up one of these for IT.

Question - does anyone have or know of a JH that is for sale? Cosmetics don't mean anything, just want a runner that can be built up to a functional race car. IF anyone know much about these thing please post here, I'm trying ot collect info on the cars but there isn't a huge amount available. Thanks,

Ron

Hi Ron

Good choice. These can be made mighty competitive with the Lotus running gear. I had one back in the 1980s.

Lee Mueller won all races but two that he entered in a Huffaker J-H in the mid 1970s. Back then it was in D Production, against Porsche 911s, Datsun 2000s, Yenko Stingers etc, so the wins were something else. They also look pretty cool in race trim. This is the Mueller/Huffaker Healey when Qvale raced it in EP in the late 1970s.

qvale1.jpg

There are a number on Ebay at the moment ripe for racing:

Jensen-Healeys on Ebay

Good luck

Rob
PS most of them rotted away soon after they rolled off the production line over here.

Ron Earp

Admin
Rob that is a nice picture! They are good looking cars in race trim and the 907 was rated at only 140hp in stock US spec trim. It is not a problem to get 180-190 hp from the Lotus 907 and at a race weight of 2150 lbs it should be very competitive in the class.

Know of any problem areas in the car? I've heard the trany is crap and the brake discs are fragile.

I saw the ones on Ebay too and am trying to find one within 300 miles of me just so I can look it over.

Re: Looking for a Jensen Healey

Hi Ron

I have a lot of stuff on these somewhere. Yes the early gearboxes (Chrysler I think) were crap. Later cars had Getrag transmissions (1974/1975?) and these are the best cars to go for.

Yes the brakes were pretty crap too for a sports car. There are upgrades available. www.jhps.com does a "Jensport" 4 pot brake upgrade which is a real improvement and should cut it in SCCA.

Lee Mueller and others had early problems with oil pressure on the track. Oil starvation was a common problem but narrower oilways and sump baffles sorted it. Something to look out for.

There were also some decent carb upgrades available if SCCA rules allow - Dellortos and Webers as opposed to Strombergs.

If I turn anything else up I'll let you know.

Make sure when you get one make sure you post some pics!

Cheers

Rob

Ron Earp

Admin
Re: Looking for a Jensen Healey

SCCA rules don't allow much - factory carbs, brakes, engine. You can port match and jet, but cannot change the basic pieces. So, Strombergs have to stay, unfortunately. If the weight gets down to race spec then I think the stock brakes will work just fine.

Back