James Dean's spooky Porsche 550 Syder

James Dean\'s spooky Porsche 550 Syder

The Porsche 550 Spyder racing car in which James Dean was killed in 1955 seemed to have the power to cause accidents even when dismantled. Bought by a garage owner, George Barris, it slipped as it was being unloaded from the breakdown truck and broke both the mechanic's legs. The twin-cam engine was sold to a doctor who was killed when his car went out of control during a race. Oddly enough, another car in the same race was fitted with the drive shafts of the Porsche and the driver was injured when the car turned over. The battered shell of Dean's car was used in a display on Highway Safety in Sacramento. It fell off its mounting and broke a teenager's hip. Weeks later, en route to another display, the truck carrying it was involved in an accident and the driver was thrown out and killed by the Porsche falling off the back. A racing driver who bought two tyres from the wreck was almost killed when both tyres burst simultaneously, causing the car to swerve off the road. George Barris was unable to find anything wrong with either tyre. In Oregon a truck carrying the wreck slipped its handbrake and crashed into a store. In New Orleans it broke into 11 pieces when it fell off stationary supports. Finally, in 1960 it vanished for ever when being sent by train back to Los Angeles. The book 'Cars of the Stars', which contains many similar tales of jinxes, George Barris and Jack Scagnietti mention that Dean's mechanic, Rolf Weutherich, who suffered a shattered jaw, a broken arm and leg in the original crash was convicted of murdering his wife in Germany in 1968, but it seems to be stretching a point to lay the blame for this on the spooky Porsche.

When I worked for Porsche from 1962 to 1964, Rolf was a colleague having returned to Porsche from the US. I didn't know him well but the last thing I would have thought is that he would murder someone especially his wife.

Keep the light switched on at night!
Andre 40

Re: James Dean\'s spooky Porsche 550 Syder

Andre,

That IS scary!

Barris should have had a priest perform an exorcism on it!!!

Bill

Hi Andre

I also read somewhere that James Dean's mechanic Rolf Weutherich, who was thrown from the car in the '55 crash, was later killed in a car crash - aged 55. Wierd.

By the way - I don't know if you saw the pictures of his 550 after the crash, but I can't believe how anyone could sell two tyres off that car, even though the damage was mainly down one side. The lawyers would have a field day nowadays.

Rob
PS Before seat belts were mandatory in the UK, I heard this accident cited as a good reason not to wear them. James Dean was strapped in, Rolf Weutheric was thrown clear ...

Hi Rob,

Yes, I would agree about the tyres. As the left hand side of the Spyder was badly mangled the two good tyres could only have come from the right hand side.

I didn't know that Rolf had died in a car accident. Perhaps the spooky trail has finally been laid to rest.

When Allen was here last week (more later) he reminded me of Masten Gregory who refused to wear seat belts and who made a habit out of jumping from troubled cars at high speed.

In the late 1950s the brakes of his Tojiero-Jaguar failed along the Lavant Straight at Goodwood. He had the presence of mind to get out of the seat and to sit up on the rear end. When the car hit the solid embankment he was launched right over the top of the spectators like a rocket and survived. Had he stayed in the car, judging by the folded up wreck, I doubt that he would have made it.

Shakepeare said, 'To wear them or not to wear them. That is the question!'
Andre 40

I think I will continue to wear a seat belt if thats OK /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

some factual information mixed with urban legends propogated by Barris.

Hi Pete,

Interesting to read your comments. I had a feeling that the spooky trail was just a little Over The Top in particular the bit where the wreck just suddenly fell off a stand and broke into 11 pieces. The complete wreck slipping off a stand in Sacramento and breaking a teenager's hip somehow sounds more credible.

I still think it's a good idea to keep the light switched on at night!!!

Regards,
Andre 40

Back