July 4th.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Right now in OZ it is July 4th, which means you will celebrating your Independence day tomorrow our time. To all my U.S. friends have a Great day.

Howard Jones

Supporter
Pete, I just found your post. What a nice thing to say. Thank you. By the way do you have a equivalent day in Australia?

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Howard,
Yes we do, its called Australia Day and occurs on January 26th. It is not an independence celebration like July 4th, as we are still part of the Commonwealth and HRH Elizabeth is the Queen of Australia. There is a lot of debate in OZ about when we should declare ourselves a republic if ever, but that debate could start a whole new thread
Australia Day is more I think like your Thanksgiving where we celebrate being Australian and living in the best country in the world. It is a day where we all get around the BBQ and watch our cricket team kick the English arse, and drink copious amounts of beer, rum and whatever tipple takes your fancy.
It is a day where we celebrate all things Australian, prawns (shrimp) Crocodile Dundee, Nicole and Keith, Melba, Hills hoists, thongs (you wear them on your feet not up your arse) blue dogs and footy. We talk a lot about how we as a small nation of about 17 million can kick the shit out of the the rest of the world in just about any sport you can imagine.
We took the Americas Cup (yachting) away from the yanks who had held it for umpteen million years. And a few years later jailed the bloke who financed it, Alan Bond who stopped being "Bondy the Ozzie Icon" to become "Alan the Pommie crook'.
Of course the Kiwi's then manipulated the rules and bought in Multihulls and screwed up the entire competition and the still have the gall to whinge about underarm bowling.
We beat the Poms at Cricket, the All Blacks at Rugby, the world at swimming , Aerial Skiing, Polo Cross and Eventing. frightened the shit out of Brazil and Italy in World cup soccer (a game that hardly anyone plays in Oz, watch out when we decide to get serious.)
In F1 we have had Brabham, Jones, and now Webber. MotoGp Mick, Gardner,
and now Stoner, currently in the top ten in his first year.
Even our sheilas won gold in water polo at the Olympics.
In Golf Greg Norman, Carrie Webb, Aaron Baddeley to name a few, and Geoff Ogilvy won the U.S.Open last Month.
We have the most beautiful women, last years Miss World, Kylie, the world's cutest arse.
Ok. Ok. so now I'm being boring, but yes Howard we do have an Australia Day.

Last edited:

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Hey Jac Mac,

That's not very sporting.

You know how the Aussies hate being beaten all the time by a country with a population smaller than Sydney (Strine pronunciation Sedney)!

Especially when they're so severely trounced!

Cheers

Last edited:
Russ,

Im very sorry, I was totally unaware of how sensitive they were about these thing's.

Pete,

What can I say ???

Cheers

Jac Mac

Last edited:

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jac Mac,

You're just another Bl**dy OLIVER!

I see the Aussies have learnt how to deal with the likes of you. They're ignoring you. Either that or they've gone away to hide with their tails between their legs!

Russ , the reason you edited post#6 was to correct your spelling (Sidney??), not rub it in. Anyway who was "O??????", should I be offended ?

Cheers
Jac Mac

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
phaark

jac mac said:
Pete , NZ All Blacks 32, Australia Wallabies 12. OOP'S

Jac Mac

Well Jacmac, the game was played in NZ in typical bloody awful NZ weather
conditions, wet, cold and miserable when we are used to hot sunny days and warm Balmy nights. But a win is a win and congratulations to the All Blacks.

Of course you know that one lost battle does not mean the war is lost.

See Russ, It was your bloody awful ChCh weather that upset him, not me. If they had played it down here they would have had to sub half the team with ice skaters the ground is that hard from frosts etc.

Cheers
Jac Mac.

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Yeah Jac Mac you're all diplomacy!

Pete, you're right about the weather being crap. We'd all be migrating across the Tasman if it wasn't for all the Aussies there!

BTW that's an awesome car you've got there Pete. I followed the build with great interest.

Regards

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Hi Russ & Jac Mac - no sensitive Aussies over here - the delay in Oz responses was obviously caused by our peculiar w/e ritual of a BBQ, a few beers, then a snooze ! (The only reason you got a response from me was that I had to stay sober to take the 40 out for its maiden run with the new engine - Whooo-Hooo, that was fun) !!

All Aussies will readily acknowledge the 2 principal skills of the people of Eastern NSW (aka NZ) :

- All Blacks vs Wallabies : done deal, no argument !

- Exporting people to Sydney (principally Bondi) - the main reason for the NZ population being smaller than that of Sydney.

Kind Regards,

Peter D. :) :)

Aussie Sports Dominators

Another thing Pete failed to mention about the Aussies and rugby is that only 2 states out of 8 (including ACT and NT) actually even play the game. It isn't even our national code of football. So, like the soccer, wait to we get serious about rugby too. And another thing, Australia actually won the last world cup. In Rugby League. Frankly, I can't tell the difference.

Back