ALMS Miller Motorsports Park

The ALMS guys came to Utah last weekend for the first automotive spectator event at the new track. Here are some photos. It's a pretty spectator-friendly track, as all of these photos were taken from normal spectator viewing positions (no press/photo credentials required).

First, some GT40-related content. There is a museum at the track for Larry Miller to show off his car collection. Here's J4, until recently owned by George Stauffer.

Attachments

• small_j4.jpg
    small_j4.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 408
And for the Gulf fans, a Gulf Porsche that ran in the GT3 Cup Challenge. Does this turn remind you of another track perhaps?

Attachments

• small_gulf.jpg
    small_gulf.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 344
All the turns at the track have been given names by the track designer, Alan Wilson. This is a combination called "The Attitudes" which are further broken down into First Attitude, Second Attitude, and Bad Attitude. Another picture of The Attitudes:

Attachments

• small_attitudes.jpg
    small_attitudes.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 338
A Panoz catches air at the apex of First Attitude. I've driven this part of the track - it has several configurations. You can run the full track, as they did for these races, or just the West track, just the East track, or the Outside track. The Attitudes are in the East track, which is what I've driven. The full track is about 4 and a half miles long. Most of the drivers here seemed to be geting up on the kerbs (with the notable exception of the race winning Audi). I don't like to get up on them, as they upset the car too much (as demonstrated here). I also noticed that some of the drivers were lifting at the apex of Second Attitude. I'm flat out pretty much from turn in to First Attitude all the way through Bad Attitude. Bad Attitude is banked so you can actually carry a bit of speed through there. Of course, I am driving a 130ish HP Ford Focus. On street tires...

Attachments

• small_panoz1.jpg
    small_panoz1.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 346
One of the neat things about the ALMS race is that they let spectators onto the grid shortly before the start of the race. The crews and drivers are out there, as well as the Michelin man and the Pirelli girls. Hmmm... Do I want to get my picture taken with the Michelin man or the Pirelli girls? Michelin man...Pirelli girls...? This guy had no problem deciding.

Attachments

• small_babes.jpg
    small_babes.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 382
A view of the pits before the race. Not a view that we get to see very often as spectators.

Attachments

• small_pits.jpg
    small_pits.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 342
These Audis are pretty amazing. They're very quiet - they just sort of go whooshing by...

Attachments

• small_audi_12.jpg
    small_audi_12.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 314
The number 1 car got off track on the first lap (turn 4, I think, which has a name of course but I can't recall it right now), so the number 2 car led most of the early pasrt of the race. Here's the number 2 car being rolled to the grid.

Attachments

• small_audi_25.jpg
    small_audi_25.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 331
Since they run 4 races at one time (P1, P2, GT1, and GT2), the cars have colored lights on the sides that show you who's in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in each class. The number 2 car is in the lead.

Attachments

• small_audi_22.jpg
    small_audi_22.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 351
Pit stop completed, he's headed back onto the track. That building in the background is the clubhouse. It is air conditioned and has a bar. Yes, they do serve beer at the track in Utah. And the air conditioning is nice, considering the temperatures were in the triple digits (that's 40ish for you Celsioids)...

Attachments

• small_porsche_63.jpg
    small_porsche_63.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 352
Driver change, fuel and fresh tires... They're not allowed to change tires while they are fueling the car.

Attachments

• small_audi_27.jpg
    small_audi_27.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 317
Running a little rich? The track is at about 4600 feet altitude, but these things aren't running Webers, so they shouldn't have a problem with that...

Attachments

• small_flames.jpg
    small_flames.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 325
In fact, the commentators noted that the Ferrari that won its class (after having to move to the back of the grid because they changed tires after qualifying got better fuel mileage at the altitude, and that helped it win as fuel consumption had been a problem is previous races.

Attachments

• small_ferrari2.jpg
    small_ferrari2.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 353
This is a difficult ("technical" is the word everyone was using) track, as witnessed by the number of off-road excursions and spins even with professional drivers. Of course, being a newtrack has to be a factor as well - you may drive the line most of the time in practice, but there are some surprises waiting when you get off line. Don't try this at home - these guys get paid to do this.

Attachments

• small_offroad1.jpg
    small_offroad1.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 360
Back