TGP Formula 1 question...

Looking now on raceworld tv (Raceworld) at the TGP championship I remember a discussion I had in Misano with a mechanic around a Brabham parmalat Bt49.
The car should be from 1982 (or 81..honestly dont remeber ) but I was SURE that was powered by the legendary M power BMW turbo engine.
The TGP had a different engine top and was featuring the Ford "Cocco" engine.
I asked the guy but he was sure that brabham had the cosworth and not the Bmw.
Looking around the net I found a picture of Riccardo patrese inside that...

Also i noted almost all the 80 formula one doesnt fit the ground effect "minigonne" parts..and from what I've read a car without theme is nearly impossible to be driven.

Anybody knows more (and I am sure many here know a LOT) can tell me:D

Paolo (but Piquet brabham had the M power...i'm sureeeeeeeeee):D

Last edited:

Brian Magee

Supporter
Hi Paulo,

The original BT49,s were built from the BT48 Alfa engined cars. They first ran at the Canadian GP in 1979 with DFV engines. They ran all of 1980 & '81 with the Cosworth engines. The start of the 1982 saw the introduction of the BT50 with BMW Turbo power but they reverted back to the BT49D/ DFV cars for the Brazilian and Long Beach races. At the Belgian GP they ran the BT50/BMW cars, then Piquet stayed with the BT50/BMW and Patrase went back to the BT49D/ DFV for the next three GP's. The Canadian GP in 1982 was the last time that Brabham ran the Cosworth engine.

This BT49 is one of the very few Brabham F1 cars to have escaped from Bernie's grasp. Some years ago I was lucky enough to have been shown all of Bernie's F1 cars stacked on shelves 3 or 4 high in his warehouse at Biggin Hill.

Brian

Thanks a lot brian,
means the guy was right...I didnt know they also used the cosworth beofore BMW era.
Btw, what could be the difference in power between the ford DFV and the Turbo bmw?Is that one of the legend ones with up to 1500 hp?

Thanks
Paolo

Back