Chevron B16 Kit car?

Just curious but does anybody build a decent quality replica of a B16? Aside from the GT40, Lola, and P4 they've got to be one of the most beautiful cars ever to lap a track.

Thanks in advance
Rich.

Keith

Bigblockquad said:
Thanks Fran,

You think an LS based Chevy would fit?

Rich.

:eek:

Personally, I would have thought a good twin cam 4 banger 2 - 2.5 litres more suitable....and if you wanted more power - turbo....(God forbid)

Last edited:
Just curious but does anybody build a decent quality replica of a B16? Aside from the GT40, Lola, and P4 they've got to be one of the most beautiful cars ever to lap a track.

Thanks in advance
Rich.
I have a body and new set of molds for the B16 and Active power is making the Chevy power frame as the origional B16 power is very slow in todays automotive world .....

Thanks Fran,

You think an LS based Chevy would fit?

Rich.
Active Power makes a fantastic frame that is so much more durable for street use as the aluminum TUB type frames will not hold up to the American road conditiond ... if you really wish to drive your car often .....
Chris makes custom jig built frames for many type autos ....he is a very honest and talented person ...
I can supply the body ....

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
RichE
Anything will fit anywhere if you have enough time and money....

Saw a Pratt-Whitney J47 Jet engine in an Isetta at the Drag Strip back in the early 70's.. That convinced me that with a big enough hammer, you could make anything come together..

Active Power makes a fantastic frame that is so much more durable for street use as the aluminum TUB type frames will not hold up to the American road conditiond ... if you really wish to drive your car often .....
Chris makes custom jig built frames for many type autos ....he is a very honest and talented person ...

Not doubting the strength and durability of the Active Power frame but I am very curious what you are basing your opinion of the "Aluminum TUB type frames" on ????

Gregg

Gregg
Lifetime Supporter

Randy, he is obviously not basing it upon the THOUSANDS of miles Jimmy G has traversed in his aluminum tub cars.

Shameless plug by Cool1 to try and sell a body. If he wants to sell, he should become a PAID advertiser. Good luck to him in his endeavors, however he should just be mindful of forum etiquette.

Not doubting the strength and durability of the Active Power frame but I am very curious what you are basing your opinion of the "Aluminum TUB type frames" on ????[/QUOTE]

My thoughts exactly- maybe taken as a general overview of ALL types of alloy tub; ie riveted-bonded-sandwich etc. BUT if you are comparing the tub of relatively thick, welded, alloy as per RCR( Sorry Fran ,but at this point you appear to be the only entity producing these commercially at this time ) then you should bear in mind that the methods used have parallels in both Marine and Transport Industrys with Boat Hull & Truck Decks/Bodys that see loadings etc far in excess of those that will ever be applied to cars like these.

Jac Mac

Last edited:

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Hope he never meets anyone with a Lotus Elise...could get ugly real fast....:dead: ..We have all debated the aluminum facts many times on the forum ....everyone is entitled to their opinion.....;)

Last edited:
Hope he never meets anyone with a Lotus Elise...could get ugly real fast....:dead: ..We have all debated the aluminum facts many times on the forum ....everyone is entitled to their opinion.....;)
This attitude is why I quit manufacturing in the Kit Car Industry years ago ....
for anyone to think and represent that an aluminum "tub" frame will stand up to the daily drive of an auto (speed bumps ...pot holes etc.) is dreaming ....just as if a sports race car should have a heavy strong steel frame would be a non truth it depends what "you" want your dream car built for and how "you" will wish to use it .... It always seems that a "few" manufacturing and elite people tend to do all the talking ....to support there interests and there pats on the back .....sort of a good old boys club ????? huh ...the word politics seem to come to mind ...
Chris at Active power has been making frames and bodies for many years and has proven his place in the industry AND he has made it through his product not money and backing ....please do not belittle his efforts ....and to the "gentleman" that thinks Aluminum is the end all for boats ....I have been racing and designing offshore powerboats for a lifetime .....and if you think aluminum is better than composite ....please contact Clive Curtis of Cougar Marine in England and ask him ....he has built wood, aluminum, and composite boats both for personel and goverment use .....you might get an education .....
When I first had an interest in Kit Cars Bruce Meyers and others used the V.W. frame and helped and new person with interests and a dream ...even "your" GT40 cars were on V.W. frames .....I am sorry to have stated my opinion and never wish to offend anyone ...but I would suggest you all owe your roots to the V.W. style "Kit Car" industry .....
None of you are different from them (only in price) and everyone is to be honored for his or her dreams ....NOT belitteled .....

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Ko1 ...as I said everyone is entitled to their opinion and I appreciate the passion with which you have expressed yours....and as your comments are aimed squarely at the aluminum chassis ..and mine is the only one on the market at present , I hope you will allow me to voice my opinion with same commitment.

just an FYI but Panhard produced an all aluminum car back in 1953 , even with a cast aluminum chassis,so nothing is new in the motorcar world...

MANY high performance production cars are now produced with aluminum chassis....All current Ferraris, Corvette, Cadillac XLR, Audi , Spyker, Bugatti to name a few....unibody construction is nothing more than a TUB as you put it.

I am not here to pat myself on the back.
I have no backing or partners, and RCR is totally self funded from a background in production and racing from working with GM......
I work my tail off and hope to keep RCR on the map for a very long time to come and hope to be able to be remembered for not copying or regurgitating someone elses hard work and design philosophy but for having the nuts to go out on a limb and have the courage of my convictions and try something new in this arena...some people may not agree with my ideas or design but they are probably the same people that are always looking for a reason to complain without ever having the balls to do it for themselves...then so be it....dont complain ,just dont buy an RCR product...go out and do it for yourself.

Maybe if you had not quit the KIT CAR industry we may associate your name with the likes of Chuck Beck,Tom McBurnie and the Manx Meyers buggy,that is still going strong allbeit with a Subaru engine now...all of which are stalwarts in the industry....

Welcome to the GT40 forum......

ps. Jon Staudacher...is a very good pal of mine and if you are a boat guy you will know who he is.

Last edited:

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
As I said before - I'm not doubting the strength and durability of the Active Power chassis. I've designed and built many steel chassis racecars over my career - but my eyes are open to other technology and designs as well. Certainly the world of high tech racing (Indy / F1) has gone in yet another direction entirely with composites - which would tend to put both the steel chassis (space frame) and monococque alloy chassis in an entirely different league.

for anyone to think and represent that an aluminum "tub" frame will stand up to the daily drive of an auto (speed bumps ...pot holes etc.) is dreaming .....

and your empirical evidence that proves your point is where?

I am a realist and technologist - I need real facts to base my position - not supposition. I'm perfectly happy to learn from your properly presented "facts"..

Thanks!

Gregg

Gregg
Lifetime Supporter
"cool1;195344]This attitude is why I quit manufacturing in the Kit Car Industry years ago ...."

So your opinion can be given the proper weight, perhaps you will answer the following questions:

1. Who were you associated with or what was the name of your company?

"for anyone to think and represent that an aluminum "tub" frame will stand up to the daily drive of an auto (speed bumps ...pot holes etc.) is dreaming ....just as if a sports race car should have a heavy strong steel frame would be a non truth it depends what "you" want your dream car built for and how "you" will wish to use it .... "

2. Your statement is based upon what facts?

"It always seems that a "few" manufacturing and elite people tend to do all the talking ....to support there interests and there pats on the back .....sort of a good old boys club ????? huh ...the word politics seem to come to mind ..."

3. Really. Who is patting themselves on their back? The only praise I see in this thread is you hawking Active Power products. Since you are offering Chevron bodies, is it fair to say that you are you affiliated with them?

"Chris at Active power has been making frames and bodies for many years and has proven his place in the industry AND he has made it through his product not money and backing ....please do not belittle his efforts ...."

4. Please show me who has "belittle[d]" Chris' efforts. I've re-read this thread and can't find it.

"and to the "gentleman" that thinks Aluminum is the end all for boats ....I have been racing and designing offshore powerboats for a lifetime .....and if you think aluminum is better than composite ....please contact Clive Curtis of Cougar Marine in England and ask him ....he has built wood, aluminum, and composite boats both for personel and goverment use .....you might get an education ....."

5. Wow, racing and designing power boats for a "lifetime". I guess your second "lifetime" was the brief stint you did in the kit car industry. Jac Mac, I am surprised at you. How dare you ask a relevant question of the esteemed "cool1". Perhaps you should hide your face in shame. Whenever I meet you, whether it is in this lifetime, or my second go around I will buy you a drink. Oh, I still consider you a gentlemen.

"When I first had an interest in Kit Cars Bruce Meyers and others used the V.W. frame and helped and new person with interests and a dream ...even "your" GT40 cars were on V.W. frames .....I am sorry to have stated my opinion and never wish to offend anyone ...but I would suggest you all owe your roots to the V.W. style "Kit Car" industry .....
None of you are different from them (only in price) and everyone is to be honored for his or her dreams ....NOT belitteled .....[/QUOTE]

6. ???? Relevance.

7. Care to share your real name and location with the forum?

Last edited:

Pete K.

GT40s Supporter
"... for anyone to think and represent that an aluminum "tub" frame will stand up to the daily drive of an auto (speed bumps ...pot holes etc.) is dreaming ..."

I guess it is blind luck that airplanes are not falling out of the sky when their aluminum wings break off of their aluminum bodies. ;)

Try putting a road car through the 24 hours of Lemans ( or 12 at Sebring ) and see how many steel framed, Detroit, UK, French, German, you choose, production based cars survive. But oh, let's see, until carbon fibre came along, everything was aluminum tubs/ or aluminum tubing. Nope couldn't survive for long, all that aluminum, nor could any Saturn 5, nope. Aluminum, bad stuff. And hey, I always liked the B16.

Hello, peace be upon you brothers..... ;)

I am an engineer who has thoroughly researched the use of aluminium in car chassis structures (as I,m sure did Audi, Jaguar, Lotus et all) and will be ordering an RCR later this year. The right grade/thickness of aluminium properly designed, rivited/bonded/tig welded (choose according to preference and production volumes) is an excellent material for road or race car load bearing structures (readily concede that more exotic materials like carbon fibre is stiffer/stronger for a given weight but huge expense takes it out of most folks budgets).:dead:

It seems to me there is a small number of holier than thou bigots in this industry who take extreme and entrenched views to the exclusion of all else. Still if they were'nt around I guess we would have to invent them so that they can provide us all with a good laugh.

I have enjoyed many visits to the States but have never come across the town of "usa". Can anyone help?

Fran, keep churning out your ally beauties :)

John

ps sorry for thread drift, Chevron B16 is/was a classic.

It's too bad this thread went off kilter.
I would have thought someone offering to supply bodies for a B16
would be cause for celebration.

MikeD

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Mike,
Ko1 took the thread offtrack in the first place with his comments.

I had a set of B16 moulds in my shop for approx 6 months...they were the old Marauder ones that had fire damage... but nothing too serious.

It is a very cool 'little" car...they were giant killers due to their light weight and high HP....but tiny...,if people think a GT40 is a tight fit then be prepared to wear a B16......

Back