Workin on a '68 Jaguar XKE

A friend of mine is working on one and has a hard time getting the starter off

the starter is stuck, and the solenoid just clicks :|

do you have any ideas ?

I drove a '68 roadster daily for years and loved it, and never had a starter problem, so can't help much from experience. I sold the workshop manual, but it would just have said, in passing, "unbolt and remove starter", or something helpful like that. I suggest you try the nearest Jaguar Club.
Dalton

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
WD40, Plus Gas, or SAS with gentle heating and cooling and more of the above lubricant. And some patience using good spanners. Sometimes a 'so very tiny' turn clockwise can do the trick as well.

If it's similar to the '67, there's a 1/4" ring on the stsrter face that aligns the stsrter with the block. Sounds like yours is binding there or it would just drop free when the bolts were removed. Be careful if you heat it with a torch as there's usually grease/oil nearby. Don't ask.

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
If its a Manual box, stuck starters can sometimes be freed by putting the car in gear and rocking the car backwards and forwards.

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Getting the starter off is not so much of a problem, it's getting it back on again! I remember in the mid 70's having to do one for a customer. Four hours to remove it and eight hours to put it back on again! I've no idea what the factory book time is. From what I remember access is severely restricted even after removing a lot of surrounding paraphernalia.

Good Luck!

'Glenns' Foreign car manual gives a flat rate of 2.7 hrs for Removal- Overhaul-Refit of Starter. You must have been slackin Russ!

Instructions, are fairly basic- Disconnect battery-remove starter lead- remove attach bolts. Sounds like they wrote the book but never worked on the car.

Jac Mac

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Ah! Well then, racas mates best bet would be to get a firm quote from someone based on the Glenn flat rate and let them do it for that!:D

Cheers

Back