Riv-nut tool

Malcolm

Supporter
I am wanting to get a riv nut tool, preferrably air driven. Can anyone recommend any particular tool they have or where I could get one at a decent price. I tried Ebay but nothing showing. Also anything worth knowing before I buy?

Thanks in advance....

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Malcolm,
I've got a manual one you can borrow. I've no experience of an air driven one and having used rivnuts for a while it seems to be a case of softly softly very much feely as you put them in. Air operated might be a bit of overkill. It's made by Eclipse and its called a Spiralux. Inserts (RIVNUTS) vary in quality and my experience is the ones with vertical grooving are slightly harder to pull but do a better job and never seem to fail where as the other 'non grooved' ones can rotate quite easily on very thing gauge panels - but thats not a problem as you just reverse assemble the tool again and pull them a bit tighter. The thinnest of the mandrils (4mm ) can also easily shear off if you don't know your own strength.
Dave M

Malcolm, check McMaster Carr. I got mine from Bolhoff back when they had a distribution center nearby in New Hampshire. It looks like a pop rivet tool and you can change mandrels depending on the thread size of the Rivnut you're using. I would also think a pneumatic one would be overkill for anything other than a production environment.

Malcolm,

Davids spot on with his advice.

I,ve been using rivnuts for years without any problems. I ALWAYS use the nurled variety and you will have no problems in pulling them by hand. I think you would be ill advised to use air tools, if in fact you can get one, because riv-nutting requires a certain feel that only the wrist action can give. It is not just sheet metal that they can be used with and if you need any other advice you can always call me.

Graham @ GTA.

Malcolm
As david said the grooved rivnuts are harder to pull, but definitely hold much better. Also stay away from the aluminum nuts, they are good for a few ins and outs and then become loose, or don't hold well right from the start.
You may want to look on the web for Lawson Products. They have a distributor in the U. K. and they make a super well holding rivnut (IMHO), also they have a couple of nice installation tools including a hand operated hydraulic unit that really takes the effort out of pulling them up tight...and you can control the tension which is not the case with the pneumatic tools. By the way, the hydraulic tool will also pull pop rivets even stainless up to 3/16 with minimal effort.
Cheers
Phil

Malcolm
Try this mob :- zygology.com
they have what you need and are pretty helpful
cheers
john

Hi Malc,
Here's a picture of my manual Rivnut tool that I have had for a few years. The handles fold down to allow you to get into smaller spaces. The only issue I have had with it is not knowing my own stength... when using the M4 mandrel, I have at times pulled the handles together a little too quickly and snapped the mandrel... but altogether I've found it good, and it saves the forearm ;)

Brett

Attachments

• DSC01789.jpg
    DSC01789.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 309
I have tried to attach the details in a PDF file

See if this helps

Stephen

Attachments

• Rivnut tool.pdf
    508.3 KB · Views: 253
Sealey dont supply direct only through tool/trade outlets, so if you have trade connections discounts apply. PVRDirect.co.uk have them on offer at £59.17 inc vat

Regards

Steve

Back