anello alta velocità- Monza 2007

made this picture for u guys....is the "anello di alta velocità" not used since von Trips crash.
Incredible HOW high is this...

Attachments

• DSC00187.jpg
    DSC00187.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 279

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
Was this the section used during the filming of the movie Grand Prix?

Now there is a name I haven't heard in a while Dave. Glory days of cycling! Fausto Coppi, Gianni Bugno, Marco Pantani, Cyclists italiani grandi
I still have my Massi track frame hanging in the rafters!

Paolo,

I thought the annello was destroyed. Certainly this must be at the opposite end to the parabolica. I don't remember seeing the banked track on my last visit in 1989 to the F1 race.

Ciao
Dom

this is a picture I took during the last 1000kmts of Monza, and is the point right over the Serraglio (just before arriving in full speed at the Variante Ascari).
Is a point still surviving of the 3 ovals done in monza (the first one was from 1922..and is impressive..seems just a small internal road of the park, and was part of a too fast track:eek: without any lift, and without any idea of safety...).

the other part, externat to parabolica doesnt exist any longer.
For too many years we dream to have in Monza an american race (or Cart or nascars, for the super show they have together with the race), but that oval was definitely too dangerous and nearly impossible to update

Attachments

• Autodromo2.gif
    Autodromo2.gif
    93.6 KB · Views: 270
  • 060919parabolica.jpg
    060919parabolica.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 285
  • 917-009-Monza.jpg
    917-009-Monza.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 248
I would like to see the Indy cars do Monza (Grand Prix Circuit), and see just how much slower they are to the F1s. Would be interesting.

Even more interesting would be Group 7 and Group 5 cars from the 1960s !!!

My favourite track is Spa (I have not seen the Nordschlaif). The new Nurburgring is cum see, cum sa.

Best
Dom

I have been to Nordschleife only one time, and I think that is definitely the nicest track of the world(I miss american ones..as laguna seca, Talladega or Indianapolis overall..)
I am (obviously) referring to the old track, closed to forumla one after Lauda crash in 1976 (he gave the name to that Kurve)
Is a magic place in a too typical atmosphere only germans can have, I deeply suggest everybody to get there also for the people u will meet.
One of the nicest event is the 24 hours race, usually done in july,and is incredible to see pilots reminding every corner of that magic track.
The new ring is much more modern and dedicated to formula one.

Monza is instead the "serious" formula one track down here, but is a too serious challenge mostly for engines and gearboxes.Ralph Schumacher was able to reach 386 km/h in his williams some years ago (in a formula one....with that ugly aerodynamics:eek: ) .
We hase some nicer places anyway as Mugello (toscana), Adria (friuli), Misano (emilia romagna, doctor Rossi home..)...but THE speed place always remains Milano's track.

Another magic place I really would like to see is the Tourist Trophy, maybe this year I can...:rolleyes:

Didn't the Indy cars run with the F1 cars at Monza back in maybe the 70's?
I did a little research and found that it was 1958 &59 that the indy cars came to the Monza Banking and in 59 ran with Fi cars built specially for this race. In the mid seventies they came to Silverstone and Brands Hatch.

Last edited:
If my memory is correct, the Indy cars ran Monza only in the 1950s. A lot of romance was rekindled with the 1966 movie Grand Prix about the first year of the 3 litre formula.

I would love to see the banking at Monza.

Paolo, don't forget the beauty of the Spa Francochamp circuit. I was there for two F1 practics in the early 1990s. Saw Mansall and Schumacher's F1 debut.

Great memories.

Dom

Anyway friends,
try 385 km/h on the Nardò anello ad alta velocità in a Dauer Porsche 962.
After that....that's it
Ciao
Wanni

Malcolm

Supporter
Wasn't the Indy/F1 race referred to as Monzanapolis? Can't remember who won though.

If someone has a picture of the Brooklands banking it would be interesting to put the two side by side for comparison.

You are right, Malcolm. I believe that the first year the European cars boycotted the event. The second year they came and ran well. They were more reliable than the Indy cars but didn't have the power. I believe that power overwhelmed them. I have no idea how the Indy cars did in the 70 excursions to Silverstone and Brands.

If my memory is correct, the Indy cars ran Monza only in the 1950s. A lot of romance was rekindled with the 1966 movie Grand Prix about the first year of the 3 litre formula.

I would love to see the banking at Monza.

Paolo, don't forget the beauty of the Spa Francochamp circuit. I was there for two F1 practics in the early 1990s. Saw Mansall and Schumacher's F1 debut.

Great memories.

Dom

U right Dom,
Spa is another mytical place and also the location is really incredible.
Think that was one of the very last wonderful "old style" formula one track.

There is a really too long list of great tracks today forgiven but still in the heart of all us:Anderstorp, Zeltweg, Mosport,Kyalami,Digione,Zandword, the old watkins Glen...and too many mythical ones in Uk,..:)
Today request for safety are surely higher for the standards of those tracks,but think we will never forget those legendary locations...

Nardò is a giant oval test track, where everything is always kept so secret (no cameras allowed neither from outside..), u can search that in google earth ;)

Back