Quickest of the quick

Interested to hear other peoples views as to who was the fastest racer to pilot a GT 40 in period. My vote would go to Dan Gurney. In F1 he was the guy most feared by Jim Clark and often was the fastest man out there. This despite the fact (in the 1.5 litre days) that his size effectively handed him a 10bhp deficit over the (typically) small guys competing (this is approx 5% of total power so significant if your counting tenths in lap times). More reliable machinery would have seen him much higher up the all time greats in F1 IMO. I believe that when you analyse what he drove, the relative competition he was up against and the (relatively) unreliable nature of the racing cars of the time then in in terms of raw speed he was the best US driver of all time. No axe to grind as I am from the east side of the pond.

Keith

Fascinating question which I think will never be answered, but apart from DG who was very quick in anything he drove I would also flag up Hawkeye and Ken Miles as equally rapid pedallers.

Last edited:

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter
Pedro Rodriguez was super quick but was one of the unfortunates that died in 1971 in Nuremburg. He was quick in anything, F1's, nascars, GTs can am and even in ice-racing.

Doc Watson

Lifetime Supporter
Jacques Bernard "Jacky" Ickx.....

He gets my vote...

Attachments

• Jacky_Ickx.jpg
    Jacky_Ickx.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 229

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Pedro Rodriguez used to live just around the corner from here in a placed called Bray. His accident was in the Ferrari 512 at the Norisring - a very minor circuit as Bill points out near Nuremberg.
A question though - was he really involved in espionage?

Last edited:
Back