Gumball 3000

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Apparently they did not run away.
This according to AOL news:
It is believed the two men waited at the scene until ambulance crews arrived to help the driver of the second car, before rejoining the race towards the Albanian border.
It is thought the men reported the accident to police when they arrived at the border, and were asked to give statements.

Gumball 3000 = "stupid (mostly rich) people who don't give a damn if they risk killing someone while driving fast."

That's why there are speed limites....

That's a very good example why driving fast is not just your own problem if things go wrong.

"reported the accident to police when they arrived at the border"
HHHMMMMMM.....If I were involved in a car accident where somebody had died (if a result of a heart attack or the accident itself) I think leaving the scene and doing the above might NOT be the best thing.
Just my opinion of course.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
This is the whole article that AOL are putting out:
Police in Macedonia are questioning two Britons following a fatal accident during the Gumball 3000 car rally.
Organisers of the international event closed down the race following the death of Vladimir Cepulyoski, 67, from Macedonia.
Mr Cepulyoski died in hospital from a heart attack after the crash on Wednesday. He had not been involved in the race.
The Foreign Office said Nicholas Morley and Matthew McConville were taking part in the rally when they hit another car in Macedonia.
Police spokesman Ivo Kotevski said the pair would testify before an investigative magistrate before a decision would be made on whether to hold them in custody.
"Two British citizens left the scene of the accident. Shortly afterwards, border authorities found them in another (vehicle) at the Qafasan border crossing with Albania," he said.

The Gumball 3000 has been a draw for the rich and famous for almost a decade, speeding through Europe in high powered sports cars by day and enjoying lavish parties by night.
It is believed the two men waited at the scene until ambulance crews arrived to help the driver of the second car, before rejoining the race towards the Albanian border.
It is thought the men reported the accident to police when they arrived at the border, and were asked to give statements.
But it is understood that as they returned to the border to continue their trip they were told the other person involved had died and were taken back to a nearby police station.

Just wait until the facts emerge.
Then , if appropriate, point a finger.

Always the right approach.
At the moment it seems even to be uncertain if they were actually racing when this accident happened. Chances are that it could have been a normal, nevertheless utterly tragic, road accident.

However, racing in public traffic is totally unacceptable, zero tolerance, be it a boyracer, be it a millionaire.

Always the right approach.
At the moment it seems even to be uncertain if they were actually racing when this accident happened. Chances are that it could have been a normal, nevertheless utterly tragic, road accident.

However, racing in public traffic is totally unacceptable, zero tolerance, be it a boyracer, be it a millionaire.

Yes they probably weren't speeding. Actually all odds are against it...:rolleyes:

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Granted, it seems quite reasonable to assume that they were speeding.
And if so, let justice make an example.
We just don`t know.

You guys are tough markers, the person died of a heart attack and may well have caused the accident.
I'm with David lets wait until the facts emerge before we point the finger.

When you point your finger at someone there are three fingers pointing back at you.

...probably haven`t made myself clear enough.
I´m with David: Wait until the facts are clear, then (and only then)
draw your conclusions.

"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."
John Adams (1735 - 1826), 'Argument in Defense of the Soldiers in the Boston Massacre Trials,' December 1770

Back