My summer vacation, part 1

Chris Kouba

Supporter
So I've been blabbing about some time off that I had coming up and it's finally here. I left Phoenix last Weds (6/6) and headed back to the Pacific NW which I moved from in April 06 (still not sure why...). The goal for the summer is to have a continual adventure for the next 3 months (I am due back in Phoenix 4 Sept!).

So, what have I done? Here's the story behind the pics. I rallied up to Portland, caught up with some of my friends, played a gig with my old band on the Sat night (10 June) with more friends showing up (and my girlfriend flew in from Phoenix too).

Bethany went back and I hung out with more friends Sunday, headed to Mt Hood Monday, skinned half way up that afternoon and skiied down, then came back at 0400 the next morning and summitted. Hood is where it all began for me (my climbing addiction) so I thought it only appropriate for it to be my first summit of the sabbatical.

I headed over to Smith Rocks with my friends Drew and Joella for 2 days of climbing, then went a little south to Bend and spent 3 of the next 4 mountain biking with friends Chris and Pete. Just to mix it up we did a climb and ski descent of one of the local peaks on Saturday (South Sister). THe weather was fantastic- except for the last 1000' (330m) or so where the clouds were whipped by the wind and covered the mountain's summit (see the pics). We geared up for the ski down and committed to it and- POOF! Suddenly a big blue hole opened up and we got to ski down to almost completely below the cloud ceiling. Fortuitous timing for sure!

I am back in Portland as I write this but am heading north to Seattle and will connect with one Mr Tim Dutton (crossle43), whom I know from a former life and who has graciously offered me his hospitality as a place to crash when I'm in the neighborhood.

It's like I'm in grade school again and school's out for the summer!

Enough of the blabber, in roughly chronological order, the pics are attached. I hope everyone's summer is going as well as mine!

Attachments

• IMG_0068.jpg
    IMG_0068.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 418
  • aIMG_0021-crop1.jpg
    aIMG_0021-crop1.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 416
  • aIMG_0028-crop.jpg
    aIMG_0028-crop.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 449
  • aIMG_0033-crop.jpg
    aIMG_0033-crop.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 423
  • IMG_0065.jpg
    IMG_0065.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 421
  • IMG_0074.jpg
    IMG_0074.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 423
  • IMG_0111.jpg
    IMG_0111.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 410
  • IMG_0160.jpg
    IMG_0160.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 394
  • IMG_0161.jpg
    IMG_0161.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 421
  • IMG_0171.jpg
    IMG_0171.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 442
  • IMG_0185.jpg
    IMG_0185.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 397
  • IMG_0201.jpg
    IMG_0201.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 396
  • IMG_0206.jpg
    IMG_0206.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 393
  • IMG_0217.jpg
    IMG_0217.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 396
  • IMG_0218.jpg
    IMG_0218.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 434
  • IMG_0230.jpg
    IMG_0230.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 446

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
I'm out of breath just looking at the pictures!

Still dunno about that "climbing" thing, I don't think the adrenaline rush will outweigh the world of hurt possible!

My summer vaction will be spent at "tar beach" as I get a whole WEEK off! Comes with changing jobs.....the Euros have got it right, start with 4 weeks paid vacation and add on fron there.....

Rick

Dammit Chris,
I was expecting to read about a great road trip in a GT40 or something. Instead of that you are out in the real world of risk and pain and conquering mountains.
Oh well, great pics. Wish I had your obvious energy.

Dalton

Chris Kouba

Supporter
Thanks guys. The exciting part is just beginning. Most of this stuff was an intensive shot at trying to get in shape. My next climbing partner just got back from a month on Denali and is about 10 years younger than me. I've been driving a desk for the past year and a half... Gonna get my butt kicked.

And Dalton, I'd hardly call it conquering. It's more like the mountains let you in and sneak up and down them quietly, enjoying the physical and mental challenges. They are amazing experiences.

More pics to come in the next week or two...

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
Great stuff. Stop by if you are in the area. There is some great single track up on Tiger Mountain.

I would post pictures of my summer vacation but I don't think anybody is interested in my sprinkler changing and tile installation technique.

Supremely jealous
Don

Heck, Don, don't let anyone tell you that tile installation isn't exciting.
The wife probably got excited anyway.
Most of us are not allowed to climb mountains or play in a rock band, and are stuck with the tiling. So all power to Chris for posting some of his adventures. SOB.
Dalton

Chris Kouba

Supporter
Neal - PM me your contact info. I was just through your neighborhood yesterday. You can also email me using my screen name and adding (a) gmail dot com to it. It'd be great to meet and I'd love to get out on the bike as well.

Don - I too have pics of tiling from LAST summer, so what comes around goes around. You'll have your time... Just be thankful I didn't post pics of that.

I also tried posting a few more pics but can't get the attachment window to open. I'll post this week's pics later. Suffice it to say it was a phenominal time!

Cheers!

SUMMER VACATION: We are over to see "GrandMum" (see attached pic of her digs) in England and on to Wembleton soon. Usually do French Open and Monte Carlo but had to stay home this year to take delivery on "one-off LOLA" (second attachment)...Later dudes...

Attachments

• GrandMum's_House.jpg
    GrandMum's_House.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 274
  • New Car Me alone.jpg
    New Car Me alone.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 259
Chris K,
Wwish I would have known where you were playing a gig in Portland...I would have came to listen.

If you still are in Portland on June 26, the Shelby American Automobile Club North West is having a play day at Portland International Raceway all day on Tuesday. If you can make it, I will be in a Zink Yellow 2001 Ford Mustand with my grandson. If you are there, look me up.

Chris Kouba

Supporter
Gary - I am spending time between Portland and Arlington (north of Seattle) when I am not in the hills. I am currently up in WA and I don't think I'll be down for the weekend. If the forecast doesn't shape up for the mtns, I just might swing down to PDX though.

Also, we may be playing again on August 18th at the same place. I'll spam the forum for Portland locals or anyone else interested if that is confirmed.

John - Nice digs!! In-laws or is that your "mum's"?

Don - I spent LAST summer tiling and house remodeling so I could play this summer and also have something special in the garage. It's not bad, just not nearly as exciting. I'll post some of those pics if you'd like though. You can certainly take consolation in the knowledge that my life definitely isn't all rock-star and mountain-man glamorous...

I'm having a tough time posting pics at this point but have some good ones from the last week to share when I get that figured out.

Also, Tim and I have been bouncing between us the idea of a NW GT40 gathering sometime soon, possibly mid-July, if enough interest is out there. We'll see how things go.

Chris K,

The Shelby Play Day is today. Regardless, if you know in advance you are going to be in PDX in the next upcoming days, send me a PM and lets see if we can get together.

Must be nice to be a world traveler.

Back