Quick advice please.....

Malcolm

Supporter
I am driving a freind to his wedding today! It is raining. I am to change my wiper blade as it is useless, most likely from under use. However does anyone have experience of using Rain-X or similar product? I have some but have never used it before. For slow speed road driving will it work? Can you use wipers with it as I thought someone once said it was either or?

All help appreciated so long as it is before 11:30 am today!

Malc, I use it.

As you know, it works by causing the rain to "bead up" and run off the screen. It works best at speed but yes, you can still use the wipers.

Charles

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
I use it all the time (well not for the last two years we are in a drought)
It works well and you can use it with wipers. Good for the visor of your helmet too.

Malcolm

Supporter
Thanks guys. Weather is turned showery so hopefully we can get a gap in the clouds. Doubt it but one should be optimistic on a wedding day!

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Malcolm,
It has multiple uses - one I've heard of is in the shower cubicle !!
I use it on my visor on my Arai helmet without any problems and also on the two disposable tearoffs, though firstly I don't have a clue what the visor material is and secondly I don't ride in the rain (call me a coward !!)
In the 70's we had what I was sure was a precursor to Rainex on the Nimrod fleet in the RAF which was a superb product. It was a spirit based cleaner/polish - Maybe Scott might know if the FBOs offer something similar today. The cheapest source I've found here in the UK is Costco.

Malcolm

Supporter
It worked fine (haven't tried it on Wendy yet!) although I suspect I did not leave it long enough to grip the glass between applying it and then driving in the rain. It seemed to have less effect after using the wipers for a bit. Will apply again and leave overnight at least before use next time. The new wiper blade made a good clear screen!

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Malcolm,

It does seem to build up through multiple use. I used it on an older windscreen that just wouldn't wipe clean. It took several applications to reach an optimum, but it did do the trick. Since the paint job on the car wasn't much better than the glass, I also put a mix of it and water in the washer bottle.

Lynn

Back