Smokeys Hot Vapour/Adiabatic engine

Apparently the Patent expired in March 2002 & nobody stumped up the $$$ to renew it.
There has been some discussion on the following Forum in recent times; Engine & fuel engineering - Smokey's Adiabatic Engine

Had a test run in an old Holden that a friend had built a system for- used a carburettor from a small chainsaw of about 50cc. Car would cruise quite happily at up to 60mph and coped with small hills etc quite well. Only weak area was acceleration if you wanted to pass another car . Fuel consumption tests indicated that around 55/60 mpg would have been achievable. Normal consumption for this car would be around 25 mpg under similar conditions. Have no idea of any ill effects there may have been long term as he never kept it on the car ( It was his Family car and his wife was not too keen on his experimentation )

Jac Mac

Now I am begining to understand why JacMac is always right on, he has read Smoky's book!
Truly Smoky was the ultimate American hot rodder, always looking for an edge.
He was an inspiration to us all.
IMHO

Sorry Mark & David,
I have Not actually read 'the' book and have received no royalty cheques in the mail so I am fairly sure I didnt write it! Used to enjoy reading his column at the back of Circle Track Magazine along with his in depth articles. He was able to 'see' the big picture and possible end result of modifications that readers were playing with, must have saved some guys a heap of $$$ over the years if they took his advice.
I dont think any lateral thinking tech guy could prevent a smile on his dial when you read of some of his exploits, some of them SO simple and basic that you cannot avoid thinking--why didnt I think of that?

Jac Mac

High mileage carburation has been around for some time. Pogue(35) and Fish(34) were some of the early pioneers. Their models were to introduce only vapor to the engine!! Their patent papers make for interesting reading. Their lead ins were all about improving mileage,altering the mixture at different speeds(drivability), and improved startup . These papers came from a high mileage seminar I attended back in the 80s. I have a few drawings of my own design, which one day I hope make a working model. Started them a time or two, but couldn't complete because I hadn't learned to TIG weld at the time.

Bill

Attachments

• Fish.jpg
    Fish.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 207
  • Fish2.jpg
    Fish2.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 242
  • Pogue.jpg
    Pogue.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 241
  • Pogue2.jpg