Expensive ticket.......you betcha!

8/15/2007
Canada Introduces $10,000 Speeding Ticket
Ontario, Canada applies street racing penalties to motorists who are not racing anybody.

Ontario, Canada Premier Dalton McGuinty today announced that being caught driving 50km/h (31 MPH) over the speed limit will automatically trigger "street racing" penalties -- even if the accused motorist is driving alone on an otherwise empty road. The change in definition will, in effect, turn ordinary speeding into an offense that can carry a $10,000 (US $9305) fine and up to six months in jail, making it one of the most expensive traffic tickets in North America.

"If you choose to break the law, we consider you a threat to our public safety and you're going to face stiff penalties," McGuinty said in a statement.

In June, McGuinty cited the importance of combating the "organized crime" of street racing as he urged passage of the Safer Roads for a Safer Ontario Act which created the $10,000 penalty. The change in definition also means that the word of a police officer is all that it takes to confiscate a car and driver's license for at least seven days.

"There is no appeal from, or right to be heard before, a vehicle detention, driver's license suspension or vehicle impoundment under [the street racing] subsection," the Safer Roads Act states.

McGuinty also announced a proposal to hire 55 new traffic police officers and purchase a high-tech surveillance airplane in an attempt to rack up several of the expensive new fines.

Make the punishment fit the requirement to raise revenue.....
Make the requirement to raise revenue fit the punishment.....

Tony Hunt

Last edited:

Ron Earp

Admin
The change in definition also means that the word of a police officer is all that it takes to confiscate a car and driver's license for at least seven days.

"There is no appeal from, or right to be heard before, a vehicle detention, driver's license suspension or vehicle impoundment under [the street racing] subsection," the Safer Roads Act states.

This part worries me - absolute power with no ability to appeal.

R

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I agree with Ron and Jim...

This is a travesty to justice in the free and democratic world...

Will we embrace Hand-Choppings for petty thievery next?

Brian Hamilton

I'm on the verge of touching myself inappropriatel
Welcome to Texas!!! We had legislature pass a law a few years back that said if you were caught "street racing" (and this was completely up to the disgression of the officer whether or not you were racing the Taurus next to you or just taking off from the red light quickly) you AUTOMATICALLY get your car impounded, AUTOMATICALLY get taken to jail, AUTOMATICALLY get your license suspended for 2 years, AUTOMATICALLY get a $2,000 fine, and they can AUTOMATICALLY deam your vehicle as a weapon and dismantle or CRUSH IT!!! They made "street racing" more stringent than your 2nd DWI or trafficking marijuana!!! It's retarded and completely killed the street scene around the Austin area for sure. Oooooh, I forgot to mention, they're using the SWAT helicopter to patrol the highways at night to watch out for the street racers with thermal cameras and then they call in the WHOLE FRIGGIN POLICE DEPARTMENT!!!! We got busted once with at least 20 Police cars and there were only 5 of us out there. Haha We weren't even racing... yet.

Dutton

Lifetime Supporter
Sadly, I'm just old enough to remember the days when the word of a local police officer carried far too much weight, shortly after those oh-so-memorable days of one Senator McCarthy and associated bullies aka mob aka fellow political extremists.

Congratulations to the politicians of Ontario - you've found a way to make mob mentality respectable again... you must all feel so good about yourselves!

Best,

T.

p.s. -- While I do not support placing anyone else at risk while driving, I do support the right to drive as fast as conditions -and experience- allow. 'Speed safely' is usually the last phrase my kids hear from me before they get into the car since they started driving all those years ago. That phrase actually came from one of the daughters while we were talking about what I called situational awareness when they were learning to drive. As the years have passed, it's turned into a gentle reminder of those conversations we had all those years ago and to be careful out there. Speed safely, guys.

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
I agree Ron. Judge and jury, no one person should have this power, Hell why don't they just shoot ya.

That is extremely naiive Jim!!;)

If they shoot you, you won't be able to pay the fine! :rolleyes:

As Tony said, this is not about road safety, it's about revenue gathering. Our traffic police are simply mobile tax collectors.

If the authorities were really interested in road safety they would make demonstration of proper car control a requirement for a licence. That's never going to happen!

I better stop at this point before I get really wound up......

Cheers

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
[QUOTE=If the authorities were really interested in road safety they would make demonstration of proper car control a requirement for a licence. Cheers[/QUOTE

Agreed. I was once approaching a slippery, snow covered intersection when some jerk turned left right in front of me. I had to put the GTO into a sideways slide to miss him.

Guess who the cops pulled over for having loud mufflers???????

Right.

Dugly

My opinion is that over the 150 € or 200 US of penalty, the penalty shall be made by a judge who analises your economical conditions and through some parameters he shall give the right penalty to anyone.
Ex: I am bloody rich and I do not care about the ammount just because I am rich.
In this case, the rich guy shall pay 150.000 € or 200.000 US while the poor guy is paying 150 € or 200 US. It produces an equal wallet disturb to both the guys.
Or the risk is to send bankrupt a guy running day by day and to do not slow down the Ferraris.
On top of it, there shall be an allowance for some categories to drive faster then others, reconisable through a sticker with a different colour.
I drive about 85.000 kms a year, it is now 5 years I do not have an accident, I have a modern car with all the active and passive safety controls and I must drive the same speed of an old farmer who drives 1.000 kms a year just to bring the milk to the place with a pick up never maintened. He is dangerous, not me. Again a judge shall give the right colour which allows to drive 150 kmh on the motorway and allow the old farmer to drive only on country roads at the amazing speed of 40 kmh.
Got the concept?
Ciao
Wanni

Back