DC to AC inverters

All,

Looking for an inverter to power a 250W DC pwr supply for a notebook computer. The machine is a beast and truly needs all 250 watts, there is not a DC/DC pwr supply for travel that will even turn it on. Suggestions welcome.

At that power level, I don't like your chances of going DC to DC. The units I've found tend to max out at about 100W. The next alternative is a 350 - 400W DC-AC unit driving the normal mains charger/PSU for the unit. I suspect that you would need more than 300W to do this because of conversion losses in the normal charger/PSU, which is why I suggested 350 - 400W. Depending on availability, you might find that you need to buy a 600W unit as they seem to step up in a 1, 3, 6, 10 sequence.

Its an ugly and space wasting solution, but it may be all thats possible.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Joey,
I have an inverter in my Mercedes Sprinter van for running a notebook pc amonst other things. It's made by Wagan Tech ,Ca, I over spec'd it a bit but it's dimentions are not all that large. The one I have is 1500w continual and 3500w peak but Wagan do a whole load of them.
wagan.com > Power Inverters
Dave M

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
That looks really neat - my only concern is the cigar lighter plug. I've had so many
blown fuses on those sort of things getting hot and I tend to hard wire everything I can. The aforementioned inverter has also been supporting a Waeco 40 litre freezer
during the last trip to Europe as well as the notebook and even a halogen heater in Spa as it got rather cold at night.
My only advice on inverters: if you have the space - go up at least one size.

and p.s.
I'm not going to New Delhi, Old Delhi, Bombay, Mumbai, Chennai Madras, Kolkatta, or anywhere else in that forsaken shit hole. I'm apologise if there are any Indians on the GT40 website. I just don't like India period. It is just awful.

Last edited:
This looks like it will meet your needs but I agree with David about cigarette lighters. Allowing for efficiency in the inverter this thing will draw about 40A at its rated load, which is way to much to pull through a lighter socket, or car wiring. The data sheet states that it is protected by a standard auto fuse and has a 3ft feed cable with a lighter plug, but it does not specify the fuse current or state whether the lighter cable is detachable.

If at all posssible, mount and direct hardwire it into the car using the shortest possible cable runs and very heavy duty cable (4 - 6 guage) connecting directly to the battery terminals, with a 45-50A fuse and holder as close to the battery as possible.

If it needs to be transferable between cars, I would set it up as per above for each car, but with conveniently located connectors to access power. I would suggest using Anderson Multipole connectors for this due to the current requirements.

SBS™ Finger Proof Connector

Back