Rapid prototyping for everyone?

Just have a look at

Desktop Factory: 3D Printers

Currently offered for 4995,00 $ but read in a magazine that the price is likely
to drop under 1000,00 $ in 3 to 4 years time.

I´d be interested in your comments as to how this could be helpful in the process
of building up your car.

Best,

Marcus

Brian Hamilton

I'm on the verge of touching myself inappropriatel
Hhhmmmm,
Could definitely help in my business on developing new/custom parts. Wish we had the money to sink into the initial expense. Pretty cool stuff though!!!

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I've seen these machines in action - while they are slow if you stand there and watch them - what they come up with overnight is truly amazing....

Keep in mind that this is a small machine. 5 x 5 x 5 inches is the printing volume. Plus, I would question the strength of the part. Typically only the higher end machines use materials that have any good strength and heat characteristics. Even then they aren't the same as a molded Nylon 6 part. Not knocking this though, I think it's absolutely great that this technology is becoming more available; just be aware of the limitations. We have an FDM machine here at work which has a larger print volume and builds a part by laying down a molten bead of ABS plastic. Even it has its limitations compared to a production molded Nylon part.

Taig makes a line of nice 4 axis mills that can be had for under $2,000 if you stay within about a 12x5.5x6 inch part envelope. Taig Tools - Desktop Milling Machines and Lathes.
The software for modeling your part in 3D and then translating that into machine-useable G-code can get expensive, and the learning curve is steep- there still isn't any simple wizard based "make a part that looks like this" solution, and although 3D laser scanners are becoming more affordable and when linked with a 4 axis machine do a pretty good job of duplicating a part, you still need a grasp of arcane machine shop subjects like machinability, tolerancing, feed rates, coolant types, cutting tool design, etc, etc. What is good news for our interests is that as the price of equipment comes down, the rapid prototyping shops can lower their rates to a level that make a one-off part affordable. Right now I’m talking with a rapid prototyping sheet metal company to laser cut a turkey pan base for me, and it looks like an affordable alternative to tin snips and files. :)
John

Back