Por.. Driver Gets Ten Weeks

One mile = 5,280 ft. divided by 2 = 2,640 ft.

Car & Driver: 70 - Zero MPH= Austin Martin V-8 Vontage = 165 Ft. ;
Audi R-8 = 160 Ft. ;Porsche 911 Turbo= 159 Ft.

Road & Track: 60-0 = 2005 Ford GT = 117 Ft, 80-0= 199 Ft

If the Ford GT went 160 MPH, would it not stop somewhere around 400-425 Ft?....which is shorter than 1/2mile and even shorter than 1/4 mile of 1,320 Ft?

Pat Buckley

GT40s Supporter
Sounds like a challenge.

The only problem is you would need to get caught for it to be official.

With my luck the officer would reduce the charge to driving at 110 mph or something mundane....I wonder if he would send me for observation if I requested that the original speed stand?

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Sounds like a challenge.

The only problem is you would need to get caught for it to be official.

With my luck the officer would reduce the charge to driving at 110 mph or something mundane....I wonder if he would send me for observation if I requested that the original speed stand?

Pat,

Sure thing .....:quirk:

With your luck, can you give me next Saturday's Lotto numbers please ? :)

Reading it, it appears to me that taking 1/2 a mile to stop was an assertion by the 'journalist' and not any evidence of what actually happened.

BTW getting done for more that 100mph used to be an automatic ban (I assume it still is). I once got clocked at erm in excess of that and got written up for 99mph.

If you assume that the Po--che could sustain average braking of 0.9g, which I would think it could, or better, then the distance to stop calculated from 252 ft per second (172 mph) is approx. 1103 feet, if my old physics is correct. This is well short of a half mile (2,640 ft), which seems to be the journo's guess, as Doug says.

BTW, my brother-in-law was caught speeding in one of his Model T's, and he asked for written proof, he was so proud.

Dalton

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
RE: half-mile to stop being unrealistic...

I think there are a few here that presume that this driver would use his brakes to their maximum capacity to stop the car. He might have been scared (or savvy) enough to know about trailing throttle oversteer and just gently lifted until he got down to a more reasonable speed when he applied the WHOAAAAAAA peddle...

Back