Toyota Landcruiser Amazon 4.2 diesel

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Anybody got any experience of these cars ? I'm soliciting opinions about these cars before making any hasty moves and getting rid of my Explorer.

You dont mention the year Dave & the Amazon moniker is new to me ,but we use a 4.2 to tow the TVR & kit around, its ex Japan & done heaps of K's, showing no weak areas. Might be good idea to drop the 'Exploder', from what my son tells me the nickname is well earned.

Jac Mac

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks both. I don't know if the name Amazon is peculiar to the UK. It's the Landcruiser turbo diesel 4.2 lwb 7 seater.
I'm looking at 2003 or later with about 30k miles ish - let some other rich waller take the bulk of the depreciation and try and get one with all the bells, whistles, and gismos on. Getting old now and electric heated seats are now just the "bees knees".
(With slective memory loss, I've forgotten what was the "bees knees" before........ ):dead:

Keith

It's a very smooth motor Dave, and oddly enough the reason I am very familiar with the lump is that in marinised form, it is one of the most prolific motivators of Rigid Inflatables under the re-badged name of Yamaha and Yanmar. Can't speak much about the actual vehicle, but the engine is a little gem and I think a vast improvement over the Explorer.

Hope this helps....

Mike Pass

Supporter
The vehicle is called the Amazon in the UK to distinguish it from the Colorado which is smaller. They are called the VX in Japan or sometimes they are called the "station wagon." These are a tough old vehicle. There are some issues with high mileage engines knocking the bearings out ( looks like cavitation problem) but a change of shells about 100K sorts them out. Check out the FAQ at the owners club Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club (UK) :: Index
Cheers
Mike

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Thank you Gentlemen. It's now a case of looking around and seeing what comes up.
I'm further limited by my preferred colours and I would like black or dark grey with Europe wide sat nav and leather. The sat nav doesn't seem to figure as standard until 2003. Lastly, does LPG only get used on petrol engines? and where is the tank fitted ?
Dave M

Back