'69 Le Mans

Chris Kouba

Supporter
I'd seen the first one before (probably linked via this site), but never the remainder of the film. I never understood just exactly how dominant the Porsches were until I saw the remainder of the film the other day. Fortunately for Ford they were as unreliable as they were dominant.

I remember a recent post asking why the 917 was so revered or special. This might answer the questions.

Clip 1 of 4

Clip 2 of 4

Clip 3 of 4

Clip 4 of 4

Wow, that was great!! Thanks Chris. Are there any more of these types of films for 66, 67 and 68. Are they available to purchase anywhere?

Leonard

I have many GT40 books that document with still photographs, the great 24 hour LeMans Race of 1969. The books do a great job capturing the event and giving the reader a wonderful experience for the trials and tribulations that unfold in such a gruling long edurance race. The film clips on the above links sure adds alot of information and feeling to the stress and details the race contains, something the books are not able to deliver.

Thanks so much for the link. Well worth the view a few times over.

The 1969 clips are from "La Ronde Infernale - Le Mans 1969" which is available on DVD.

The 1968 and 1970 races are covered in "The Gulf/Wyer GT40s & 917s in action" - also available on DVD.

Hi guys
now you know why I got the 908 to back up my GT40. The 69 race has to be the best ever and makes you realise why the Le Mans classic is now a better event than the 24 Hour.

Boys I'm afraid to say but we have had the best of it

regards

Chris.

Are there any more of these types of films for 66, 67 and 68.

1966 is covered in the Ford press film "This Time Tomorrow" - normally on video but unofficial ebay copies on DVD do show up.

1966/67 is covered by the film about the Shelby years "Ford wins the 1966-67 Le Mans" DVD by Lorin Sorenson (#19 in the Ford Film series)

Hope that helps

Thanks for the information guys. I will get the movies. Dave Harris(a super nice guy!) was kind enough to let me borrow 3 GT40 books that I will have to purchase for myself. It's great history of the race cars and the GT40 hobby itself. It's all drawing me closer to making my decision as to which 40 I plan to buy.

Leonard

Sweet! A real race (-69).

Did You notice cover over front air outlets? Never seen closely that "bulge" :confused:, even in still pics. Do anyone have sharp foto?

EDIT: Looked few times more, not sure what i see; close its looks like "scoop" or "bulge", and longer distance it looks like std one nostrill -version. No more mushrooms for me... :D

Last edited:
Back