New kit on the market???

I went to england this weekend and picked up my stuff from john wisher and frank catt
And what did i see can it realy be true

Is frank going mad ?
Producing a new racing car without telling us !
what was he thinking
I've taken some sneeky shots

Attachments

• IMG_2740 (Small).jpg
    IMG_2740 (Small).jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 799
  • IMG_2741 (Small).jpg
    IMG_2741 (Small).jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 786
  • IMG_2743 (Small).jpg
    IMG_2743 (Small).jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 802
  • IMG_2745 (Small).jpg
    IMG_2745 (Small).jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 769
Four weeks to the famous London to Brighton historic vehicle run, one 1898 ( 109 YEARS OLD ) Panhard Lavassor Race car, an engine delivered with the car in various boxes which last ran on the run in 1998 and seized through a water pump failure ( water pump runs via a wooden pulley that just rubs on the side of the flywheel ) Two flat tyres ( perished tubes ) and Entries paid for and accepted to this years run on the 4th November. No pressure then, most wearing parts are worn out and need replacing, no factory parts department ( factory closed down in 1900 something ) so we have to make everything, including the dreaded brass water pump, get it MOT tested, taxed and insured, run the engine in and get to London the day before the run for a special drive through the city. The car has a wooden chassis, wooden wheels, wooden brakes, four forward and four reverse gears, a decelarator pedal where you think the throttle is, and a piece of wire as the accelarator. Could be fun on the first drive to the MOT station. Frank

First drive and MOT test today. Big learning curve on 108 year old carburation and ignition systems, all of the controls are backwards from what we are used ( ie close throttle on carb to go faster !! / throttle pedal is a decelarator / the one brake lever similtaneously throws out the clutch and puts gearbox in nuetral, so hill starts without jumping off and putting a block under a wheel is impossible etc etc ) The guy at the test station was completely bemused, all he could do was walk round the car, kick the solid tyres and fill in what he could on the test sheet. With no lights, no windscreen or wipers, no brakes as such ( wooden blocks onto the wheels ) no anything that usually gets tested, he couldnt do much than sign us off and we got the approval. We still have a lot to do, but the Brighton run looks much more a possibility now. Frank

Attachments

• DSCF0297.jpg
    DSCF0297.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 601
  • DSCF0306.jpg
    DSCF0306.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 611
Frank

Keep us informed on progress and the historic run.its simply "too much"

I was also rather surprized about Frank's new 'baby' from last century.

Was it the same guy who did my MOT? And I was neurvous to get my car passed ....

Good luck!

Fred

Hi Frank Frank

what tyre pressure do run for hillclimbs ???
What about the brakes ? I am shure it stops great, especially when it stands still....

regards Thomas

Tom, there a steel spike with a pointed end, called a "sprag", hinged onto the chassis and which can be dropped into the ground in an emergency, stopping is instant and dramatic! Frank

Back