Snoozer!

OK OK It might be sour grapes, but is anyone else getting tired seeing the R10 TDI's ? :mad:

Now I know what Red Sox fans must feel like!

American Le Mans Series :: World Class

So why is it Dr. Panoz didn't bring back Group 7?

I think it would be alot more fun to watch and hear, but I'm too old school I guess.

Sorry for the rant.

Any opinions?

Cheers,
Scott

I guess it's just the times we live in Scott. It is kind of sad. How can Americas Premier Road Racing Series have 4 Cars in it's top class?
As far as Group 7. How would someone bring that back?
Thanks for the post Scott. I've been thinking all week about Atlanta this weekend. Curious but sad about the same thing that was behind your comment.
Chris
GT Reproductions

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
getting tired seeing the R10 TDI's ? :mad: ?? :dead:

NOPE........
Well, maybe a little bit.......
Well, OK, Yes.

It's the way forward - SO WE ARE TOLD!
Just think - a rain forest area the size of Wales has been cleared in Borneo to make room for 90 ( ninety !) palm oil refining units. The orang utans have lost their habitat and are dying.
So, has this move to diesels has encouraged this?
"But the R10 diesel is refined from Natural Gas ......"
It doesn't say that on the forecourts in the filling stations here, it just says diesel.
Maybe the diesel pumps should say:"Burn the apes - what the hell......"

Last edited:
It's the way forward - SO WE ARE TOLD! Just think"[/QUOTE said:
That is the crux of the whole motorsport scene, Everybody doing what they are TOLD, there are no original thinkers/doers in the motorsport scene with the guts to step outside the square and make something different work. The rulemakers in general have virtually killed all the innovators from the sport. Its very much a case of 'Do as I say-Not as I Do'.

Jac Mac.---------- ( I could have added that I am old too, but that would an untruth- this old brain still thinks @ 7000rpm, its just that when I drop the clutch some of the driveline doth protest a little bit)

Keith

Keith,

Are you serious or just kidding? :confused:

Best,
Scott

No noise, no adrenaline...........

Whooooooosh, they're gone and the hair on my neck stays flat.......:zzz:

What Dave says is worrying too - it's the new Religion....:mad:

So Chris, Dave, JacMac and Keith, we are all in agreement somewhat. rockonsmile

I have a "local" team I root for, Dyson Racing. They are always competitive and are very friendly at the autograph sessions.

ALMS rocks but its no Can Am.

Only the GT1 Corvette's sound good anyway.

What they need to do is allow the Vette motor to be put in the RS Spyder!

What bugs me really is why Group 7 is not here. It would be cheaper and just as fast. With all the noise and smell! Only one rule, no electronics at all, except for ignition systems.

I bet a McLaren M20 or a T260 could keep up with an R10. Especially with modern construction materials, design and brakes.

Group 7 cars today would probably have 1000-1500 hp with carbs or mech injection. Brakes would be better too, just NO ABS.

I would allow wings that would feed downforce loads into the uprights too.

One can dream I guess ;)

Could it be that unrestricted Group 7 racing won't be allowed to come back be cause it may compete with Formula 1 money?

Could it be sacrelidge to have a totally dominant American engine?

Well anyway the Petit Le Mans does start soon, I have to go get some beer and charcoal for the grill. :D

Best,
Scott

Scott,

Be sure to check with the rule makers before you make that trip to the store.......and make sure you can have up to 24 cans or more on you when you go thru the gates. I'd hate for the beer police to confiscate your hooch! But if this is a stay at home party, please disregard!

Group 7
I believe a Group 7 type series could sell. Now it would be a shadow of the '66 thru '74 era just because of the reality of the technological advances. You would have to limit it but... The no electronics would be a good start. Or maybe we would have to allow fuel injection electronics with a spec black box. Sealed 700 hp Big Block Chevy's Probably run all season on a rebuild with a 6500 RPM rev limiter.
My vision/ plan is to take the McLaren M8 Body (I have one) and build a spec Group seven car. Crate 502, Mendeola Gearbox, Kinsler Fuel injection. Configure it like the M8B. I believe it could be built for the same cost as a D Sports Racer. That series has exploded. The last attempt at something like this had some success as I remember the Shelby Can Am. It had some issues though. A V6 And the things looked wrong.
I don't see it ever being a stand alone series but could be a sucessful support series for the Grand Am or the ALMS. It would probably be well recieved at actual Vintage events too.
OK I'm ready let's do it.
Chris
GT Reproductions

If I had a clean sheet of paper for this here's how it would shake down;

Body & all attachments to fit inside a 'box': 15' 0" long -6' 6" wide-3' 6" high & at same time a 3"wx3"hx45"l square block able to pass freely under any point on the car from front axle c/l rearwards.
Body including rear wing fences to be made in Two Large Molds( F&R) with simple 1" flange around entire edge for mounting to flat floor & wheel arch rigidity ( No inverse air scoops or vents on sides- only on top surface
No part of tyres to extend outside of body in vertical plane in straight ahead position.
Rear airfoil to mount between fences and be of a -fixed area & chord length-single element only with 'gurney flap'- angle of attack fixed while racing but adjustable by crew in pits etc.
Transaxle- 5 speed-manual shift.
Motor- 7 liter max- Solid state,stand alone ignition like MSD etc.( Cant make up my mind on induction-suggest single throttle butterfly of fixed dia with injector per cyl injection to allow production plenums etc
Tyres free apart from square block must pass between inner sidewalls in test.

Jac Mac

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
And limit the brakes to cast iron rotors etc ...

Will it happen? Not likely, but the 'what ifs' are interesting.

I bet we could draw up a pretty good set of regs on here for a new Group 7 that would bring back the spectacle but not have the drivers blacking out from the G forces that would be achieved by an unlimited Can Am specification thrust into 21st century technology.

Cheers

How about electric racing cars, with a surge of power from a couple of Nicads secretly carried by the driver, and fans pressed against the fence to hopefully get a wonderful whiff of ozone as the racers silently pass.

OOh, sorry. Just woke up; seem to have been having a nightmare there.

Dalton

Malcolm

Supporter
I have to say I find the noise issue on diesel V petrol cars as one that has passed me by completely. Not old enough perhaps to have been there in the glory days? :)

I have just had some custom ear plugs made up that are minue 34 Db for sound protection. Wish I had done this years ago! From the drivers seat of the cars I am lucky enough to play with, there is no loss of adrenaline! Maybe I need to put black tape across my glasses now to avoid seeing the flak coming my way......

Back